Chapter 1

RAVENNA:

My name is Ravenna Ragnarson. When I was a young girl my brother, Uhtred, and I were taken hostages by a Dane named Ragnar. Ragnar The Fearless they called him. We were meant to be his slaves but he grew fond of us and adopted us both. As we grew he and his son, young Ragnar, taught us how to defend ourselves. We were one of the best. The most fearless warriors one could raise. But no matter how skilled you are, you cannot escape fate...

I am currently on a quest to find my brother and our friend, Halig, who have been taken to be slaves. They were betrayed by a man who we thought was a friend, King Guthred. The King, Alfred, allowed my older brother, Ragnar, to join me in this quest. With us is, Steapa and our loyal friend, Hild.

We have grown tired and I fear we will never find them. It has been 2 years since they were taken and it feels like we are not getting any closer to finding them. I can tell everyone else feels the same, but none of us wants to say it out loud. I want to say it, but I fear that once I do, Steapa will order to stop the search. Even thought it feels like there is no hope, I am not ready to give up yet. I refuse to believe my brother's story ends this way.

We have been to almost all slave trading posts and we have had no luck. Until one day we finally get a good lead, and go after it.

We see a ship but not much movement, so Ragnar orders to go up the hill and attack the traders by surprise.

"We are on lower ground, Ragnar." I say. "If there is just one man on that ship and he spots us, he can sound a horn and warn the others."

"She is right." Steapa says.

"I can take five men and attack the ship, just to be sure. You can go up the hill and take them by surprise." I offer and he agrees.

As suspected there were 3 men still on board the ship. Easy kill. The first man is giving his back to me, so I sneak behind him, cover his mouth so he can't alert the others and cut his throat. The second one didn't even have time to take out his sword as mine plunged through his heart. And the third, we gave to the slaves still on the ship to take care of him. As they do I look around, hoping to fin Uhtred but no luck.

As I unboard the ship I hear Steapa's loud whistle. I look up to the small hill and he yells they have found him. I know I should have been happy, but I was not. It felt like another false hope, but I got on my horse and ran anyway. When I get up the hill I see a group of slaves, and Ragnar hugging one of them.

 When I get up the hill I see a group of slaves, and Ragnar hugging one of them

"Uhtred?" I ask with hope. I could barely recognize him because of how skinny he was.

"Ravenna?" He could hardly speak.

"Yes, it is me." I felt such a relief. We had finally, after 2 years, found my brother. I run to him and embrace him, even crying of joy. We found him, and he would finally be free. I look around, knowing there was something missing. "Where is Halig?"

His eyes gave me the answer before his mouth did. "He is gone." I felt pain in my heart. He was a good man, and an even better friend.

 He was a good man, and an even better friend

"Free them all." I hear Ragnar say.

The saxons do as they are told and free them. One of them even though they have been through hell, had kind eyes. As soon as he is freed, he grabs a sword from the floor and goes to the trader still alive. He point the sword to the man's throat and pushes. "Pull" he says before taking it out.

No one stopped him, no one would

No one stopped him, no one would. We help Uhtred up to a horse, and tell the slaves that they are free and they can go where the please. Most ran, others grabbed spared horses and went their way. But not the tall, kind eyed man. No, he stayed.

"You are a free man, sir. You can go." I tell him.

"I will follow you, if that is fine with Uhtred." He was Irish, it was rare to see one around here.

"He can come with us." My brother said. "He is my friend."

"As you wish." I say "Do you have a name, friend?"

"It is Finan." He answers.

The night arrived and we built a fire. We ate and drank, except Uhtred and Finan. The Irishman explained to Hild that their stomachs were small, and that they had no appetite at the moment. Ragnar explained what has been going on lately in Wessex but I could tell Uhtred did not care. I could see in his eyes he wanted revenge.

"You are, Uthred's brother?" Finan asked.

"I am."

"You look nothing like each other." We all chuckled.

"What about you? Are you his brother?" Ragnar asked.

"We are... bound I would say." He turned his gaze towards me. "What of you? Are you his woman?"

I laugh. "No, I am his sister. Or do I not look like him?"

"A little." He smiles.

"Where is Gisela?" Uhtred asks.

"She is safe, she is in a nunnery waiting for you." Hild answered and we knew where our path would lead us then. And so off we were the next day to find Gisela.

When we arrive there was a priest marrying her to our uncle, Aelfric, by proxy. From there we went to Wessex, where my bother made yet another oath to King Alfred. But I would have done the same, for Alfred threatened Ragnar's life if he did not. One day I am sure my brother and I will return to Bebbanburg to take back what's ours. But for now we remain in our little village called Coccham. Where adventures and heartbreaks await...

Destiny is all!

_________________________________________________

Hey guys! This story is gonna be focused mostly on Ravenna and Finan. But like this chapter, I will try to add some things from the episodes. I hope you enjoy and join me on this story. Thank you!