Chapter 2

Ravenna:

It has been days since we recovered my brother. We have been working hard on building houses. Well, they have. I just provide my horses. Apparently Uhtred had more than just one follower. Handfuls of people arrived every now and then. I don't mind helping out, but when they wake me up at the crack of dawn for it, I get a temper.

Knocks on the door wake me from my sleep. I do not move, hoping that whoever was knocking would leave. Alas, they did not. They just kept knocking and knocking until I just had enough. I grab a cape to cover myself. Frustrated I walk towards the door. I wanted to kill whoever had the nerve of waking me up. I fly the door open without giving a second thought of who might be at the other side of it.

"Are you out of your mind?!" I yell. "The sun is not even out yet!" I could barely even see the person who was there.

"Why do you live so far from the village?" I hear the Irish accent and already know who it is.

"So idiots like you don't come knocking on my door at the crack of dawn."

"Well... that plan failed." He smirks.

"Clearly. What do you want?"

"Uhtred sent me. He needs you."

Uhtred knows better than to send someone to wake me up. One of the reasons I live away from the village is to have my own peace and tranquility. No sounds of drunken men coming out of the alehouse. No sounds of scream as men fight each other for whatever stupid reason. Living here was very relaxing. But I am not good with people. I don't know how to talk with them. I don't know how to connect with them, and that  is the main reason I live away from them.

 I don't know how to connect with them, and that  is the main reason I live away from them

"You can tell Uhtred I'll go when I am ready."

"He will just come himself."

"He will not. Because he knows better than to wake me up at this time of day. Which is why he sent you."

"Either way, I'm not going back without you."

"Then you might as well get ready to spend some more hours out here on the cold." I close the door behind me and as soon as I do, he starts knocking again. I go back and open it. "Are you serious?"

"I'm not leaving."

I smile. "You will pay for this" I change my clothes and grab a couple of horses to take back to the village.

.......

The ride back to the village was quiet. I felt like one of us had to break the silence. But like I said, I am not good with people. So I had no idea what to say.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, offering a piece of bread.

"Thank you." I accept it, and eat it. "So what did you use to do in Ireland?"

"I was a warrior. A soldier."

"And how did you end up on a slave ship?" I wanted to know more about him. Uhtred trusted him, but I didn't.

"The prince thought I betrayed him."

"Why didn't he kill you instead?"

"He, for some reason thought I was trying to take away his wife." He avoids the question.

"Were you?"

"No, I had a woman. Though she is likely dead."

"Why?"

"He said he would kill her as soon as I was on the slave ship... I believed him."

"Question remains. Why aren't you  dead?"

"I suppose he thought a lifetime of slavery was worse than death. He was right. I wished I was dead for so many days. But... I am glad he sent me to that ship rather than just kill me."

"Why is that? You just said it was worse than death."

"Because if he had, I wouldn't have met you." He smiles and rides ahead.

........

The horses were beat, so we decided to call it a day. Men were already on their way to the alehouse and I was ready to head back home.

"Ravenna, can I speak to you for a moment before you leave?" I hear my brother ask behind me.

"Of course." I leave my horse on the stable and follow him to his hall. "What is it?"

"I heard you've been asking questions about Finan... again."

"I have." I admit.

"I've told you, he's my friend. You have nothing to worry about."

"You know him, Uhtred.  I  don't. There is nothing wrong with wanting to know more about him."

"You interrogate him like a criminal."

"I do not!"

"You are my sister. I know how you treat someone you don't trust... Not every person I meet is trying to kill me."

"I'm not saying he's trying to kill you. I just think he is hiding something."

"Test him." He suggests.

"What?"

"Test him. See what he is made of. If he fails, he leaves. If he doesn't, he stays." I think about it for a moment. "What do you say?"

"I accept your challenge. What do you suggest?"

"There is to be a wedding tomorrow at Winchester. I will tell him to keep an eye on you. You have a talent of leaving a room without anyone noticing. If he catches you, he stays."

"And if he doesn't, he leaves."

"Yes."

"You must really have faith in him. You know I win every time, right?"

"We'll see, little sister."

"Oh, and no cheating. You cannot tell him of the game."

"You mean test?"

"One in the same for me." I smile. "I will see you tomorrow."

This was too easy. I have never lost a game to Uhtred. He might as well take his horse and leave now. Come tomorrow, and I will never have to see the Irishman again.

"I think you enjoy it." Uhtred adds.

"Enjoy what?" I turn around.

"Being around him. I think you enjoy his company and you don't want to get attached to him so you want him to leave Coccham."

"That is not true."

"Did I not mention you are my sister? I know you down to the bone. Whenever you become close to someone, you push them away. You're afraid he'll be another Calder."

"Do not say his name." I flinch at the name.

"Finan is a good man, and you will see that soon enough."

He is wrong! I am not catching feelings for this man. If I am feeling something for him, it is anything but that... He is so stubborn. He thinks he's funny, when he's really not. He flirts with any woman who crosses his path. He always thinks he can smart his way out of a situation. In conclusion, he is just downright annoying and I am not  falling for him.

______________________________________

How do you think Finan will fare against Ravenna's game?

And who is she kidding, of course she's falling for him. I mean, who wouldn't?!

Merry Christmas!!