Chapter 7

Ravenna:

"I was wrong. I can't do it."

"Yes, you can." Uhtred encourages. "You have to."

"Otherwise we're all dead, love."

"Yes, thank you for putting that pressure on me, Finan."

"Oh, come on. I didn' mean it like that?"

"When will they be back?" I ask my brother.

"Two days." I can't remember the last time I was this scared. I mean, even if I pull it off it doesn't guarantee that he won't try to kill me again. I take a deep breath before I stand to leave and as soon as I do, the doors swing open.

"Hello, Finan." A tall, beautiful dark haired Irish woman walks in like she owned the place.

" A tall, beautiful dark haired Irish woman walks in like she owned the place

"Siobhán." He says surprised, standing so fast I didn't even notice.

Who... in Niflheim... is this? "Who on earth are you?" I ask defensively.

"Who the hell are you?" She bites back.

"She's joking, right?" I scoff, looking back at the table to notice all men staring at the woman as if they've never seen one before.

"This is Siobhán. She's an old friend from Ireland." Finan says nervously.

"It's Lady Siobhán and... we were a little more than friends." She smiles.

"Lady? What in your holy hell is an Irish Lady doing in Coccham? Has Alfred completely lost his mind? Taking in strays from all over."

"The kingdoms are working on a treaty." She answers confidently before turning back to Finan. "I heard you were here and I came to find you."

"How romantic." I say sarcastically.

"Forgive my sister in law." Gisela steps in. All the men just stay the same, like they've never seen beauty before. "Welcome, Lady Siobhán. Please, take a seat."

"How kind of you, thank you."

I don't have time for this. I roll my eyes and walk out the Hall.

Finan:

"Is she always this cheerful?" Siobhán asks.

"Don't worry, she's just Ravenna." Uhtred finally speaks. "I am Uhtred, how do you know Finan again?"

"I was the soldier assigned to her detail." I lie.

"Let me guess" Clapa begins. "You fell in love, her betrothed found you together and that is why they sent you to that slave ship."

"Something like that." I answer. "I cannot go back" I speak to Siobhán now. "They will kill me, you know that."

"Things are different now. You can come home."