Chapter 4

Ravenna:

We arrive at Coccham after we defeat the raiders. Gisela was waiting for Uhtred with their children.

I continue riding to my home

I continue riding to my home. While everyone is focused on finding their spouses, my mind was elsewhere.

"Will you join us for supper later, Ravenna?" Gisela asked.

"I will try."

"You will try?" Uhtred asks. What, are you going to be busy up there? Expecting company?"

"No." I frown. I was too deep in my thoughts, I didn't even notice he was just mocking me.

"Speaking of company." Gisela continues her conversation with her husband. "There's a man here to see you."

I continue my ride, giving them no mind. All I could think about was Haldor. Wonder when he'll attack and if he'll do it here at Coccham. Yes, when. Twas not a rumor, I just said that was so Finan would get off my back. But because it is true, I must tell Uhtred.

***

I decide to go down to the village for supper. Gisela and Hild welcome me, as they always do, with a warm embrace . I greet the children and head on to the hall.

"He is insane." Finan is telling Uhtred.

"Who is insane?" I ask, grabbing and apple from the table.

"Aethelwold." They say in unison.

"Why?"

"The idiot is saying that a man has risen from the dead and can see the future." Finan answers.

"A seer?" I ask.

"Yes, from beyond the grave. He says I am to be king." Uhtred answers this time.

"And you believe him?" I ask, taking a bite off the apple.

"I am not sure."

"He's probably drunk." Finan says.

"He said he's been sober for days." Gisela adds, sitting next to Uhtred.

"Now that  is a bigger lie." I say.

Uhtred looks at me, curious at my answer and asks. "You do not believe?"

"A dead man rising? No, tis a lie no doubt. Especially if Aethelwold is involved."

"I agree." I hear Finan say.

"We cannot become an enemy of Alfred." Gisela warns Uhtred.

"No we cannot." I agree with her. "And you should listen. Women are wiser then men."

"I will listen to the man. We will join Aethelwold when he invites us." Gisela glares at him. "I will just listen."

I nod, but I did not like the plan. It is a trick, no man can come back from the dead. It has never happened, and it never will. We hear a commotion outside and when we go out, we see Alfred arriving. I leave the hall, for I did not like the man, and Finan follows.