Chapter 8

Ravenna:

After that night's encounter with Finan, I dared not go to the village. I was afraid somehow my brother would know what happened. I was afraid I could hold my compulsion if I saw Finan again.

Alas I could not stay in my cottage forever, otherwise Uhtred would come break the door down. I stayed there for 4 days. It was a miracle he hadn't come yet.

As I get close to the hall I search for any signs of Haldor or Cal. As soon as I think it's safe I reach the village and head for the hall. Only to see Siobhán flirting with Finan, laughing at all his jokes. They weren't even that funny.

"Ravenna! You've finally come out of your cave!" My brother says, holding up a cup of ale

"Ravenna! You've finally come out of your cave!" My brother says, holding up a cup of ale. Finan looks at me with a weak smile. I wanted to reply but nothing came out. I just sat there and started eating.

"We all thought you'd fallen ill." Siobhán says.

"I was not. I just needed to be alone for a couple of days." I give her a fake smile.

"Whatever for?"

"None of your business." I say calmly, but felt fire igniting inside me.

"I think it's sad." She began again. "Who would want to be alone? I would rather be among friends."

"Well, luckily , not everyone is like you

"Well, luckily , not everyone is like you. We can't all be damsels in distress waiting to be saved." I give her yet another fake smile. Of course no one said anything. This was too entertaining for them.

"You dare speak to me this way?"

"You dare think I give a shit?" I bite back.

"All right, that's enough." Uhtred speaks. "I can't have brawl now. We have guests coming for supper."

"Guests?" I ask, wondering who it could be.

"Yes. During your stay we went to Lunden to bargain a price with Siegfried and Erik."

"And?"

"And they ask for to much. Aethelred is coming with his men to make a plan of attack."

"Aethelred? Why not you?"