Chapter One: On the Run

Just a quick reminder! (Y/n)=Your Name (h/c)=hair color (f/c)=favorite color (e/c)=eye color (s/c)=skin color

The sound of leaves crunching under your feet filled your ears as you ran.

Where you were running to, you didn't know.

All you knew was that your caretaker was a monster.

You see, most people would call their "caretakers" mom and dad. But you didn't have a mom or a dad. You didn't even have a family, that you knew of anyway.

The thing about monsters is, they are horrible, twisted, evil things that didn't care about anyone or anything except themselves. But the worst part is that sometimes, you can't tell the difference between a monster and a person.

The woman who watched over you at the children's home was sick, and not referring to her health. She would hit you every chance she got, sometimes threw things at you, sometimes she would even burn you with her curling iron.

Many times you had gone to bed with a bleeding cut, swollen eye, or busted lip, silently crying and wishing it was all over.

But you had finally had enough. In the middle of the night, you had packed up what little you had and left. You didn't know where you were going, or how you were going to get there, but you didn't care as long as it was better than the children's home.

You paused to catch your breath, your messy (h/c) hair falling in front of your eyes. You took your raggedy backpack off and rummaged through it.

The contents were: a book, Shakespeare's Classics to be exact, a slightly mushy apple that you were saving until you absolutely needed it, a stuffed animal that you've had pretty much forever, a flashlight, and a moth-eaten (f/c) sweater.

You grabbed the sweater and pulled it on over your t-shirt that was a bit too big.

You had been running for almost 4 hours, stopping every now and then to rest, but you kept going, wanting to be as far away from that woman as you could. You had gone through two small towns, crossed a creek, followed a road for a few miles, and now you were in the woods.

It was beginning to get dark and you had been trudging along, looking for a place to sleep, when you stumbled upon a large building.

It looked to be an old, abandoned power plant, and under any other circumstances, you would have ran away due to its foreboding nature. But you were desperate for a roof over your head and this would have to do.

You walked around the perimeter of the building, looking for an entrance, when you saw something out of the corner of your eye. 

A few poles, sticking out of some cement, slanting downwards. You made your way over to it and saw that the pole was the handrail to a staircase, leading to a door in the side of the hill.

What the heck? You thought as you crept up to the door. The door looked like it was very thick, and the lock above the knob was very large. You tried opening the door only to find it locked.

You suddenly remembered something you had read in a book and figured, why not try it? You pulled a bobby pin out of your hair and unbent it, then stuck one end in the keyhole.

You twisted your hand around and jiggled the doorknob several times, and pushed the bobby pin around aimlessly. Obviously, you had never picked a lock before.

Out of pure curiosity, you jammed the pin in as far as it would go and heard a small click. You pulled out the bobby pin and turned the doorknob slowly.

To your amazement and slight shock, the door opened.

You stuck your head in and looked around. It was very dark but it looked big from what you could see by the dim light outside.

You grabbed your flashlight from out of your backpack and clicked it on, shining the beam of light around the room.

After creeping around the underground building for a bit, you found a kitchen of sorts. You grabbed a new apple from a bowl of fruit sitting on a counter and shoved it in your bag. 

You were about to go see what else this mysterious place held, but you were startled by light flooding the room.

"Stop right there. I don't know who you are or how you got in, but what I do know is that you aren't supposed to be here."