Chapter Eight: Maysville

The Impala rolled to a stop at 2:47 am, while you were drifting in between dreams and consciousness. It was a strange feeling, you could vaguely register what was happening around you, but you were still asleep.

You could hear pieces of whispered conversation, and a door opening. You realized you were being carried into the motel room, but not bridal style. More like you were a sack of potatoes.

But the sensation of blankets covering you made the cloud of drowsiness return, and you were dreaming once again.

A few hours later, the obnoxious beeping of an alarm clock brought you out of your slumber. You sat up, rubbed your eyes, and stretched. You saw Sam sprawled out on the bed next to you, while Dean was getting up from the fold-out couch bed.

"You didn't have to sleep there." you said apologetically.

"It's fine, kiddo. A bed's a bed." Dean assured you, while mussing up his bed hair.

"Dibs on first shower." Sam half-yelled, sleepily, while throwing his covers off.

"Not fair, dude. I already had my stuff ready." Dean complained.

"Well, I called dibs." Sam replied, childishly.

You smiled at their bantering and continued getting ready.

After everyone was ready and had gotten breakfast, you got back in the car and went to go interview some people. Since Sam and Dean were the only ones with FBI badges and suits, you stayed in the car to "be the lookout".

When they came back, you asked if you could do something else.

"Could I go walk around downtown?" you begged them, putting on your best pleading face. "I'm so bored and lonely in the car all by myself."

"I don't know (Y/n), probably not." Sam said, looking to Dean for a second opinion.

"But it's a small town, and there aren't even that many people here! I would just go to the library or walk around the park or something."

You tried copying Sam's puppy eyes that he had used on Dean a while back, seeing if they would help.

"Maybe later. We still need to find out what caused the whole "torn to shreds" incident." Dean said, to your dismay.

"Alright, fine." you said, defeatedly slumping back in your seat.

"Hey, like he said. Maybe later, okay?" Sam tried to make you feel better. It worked slightly, so you sat back up and smiled.

You drove around town for a few minutes, looking for the right house address. When Dean spotted it, he parked the Impala, and strode over to the door and knocked.

You watched the scene unfold from the backseat, as usual. Someone came to the door, the boys flashed their fake badges, they went inside, and the questioning commenced.

Looking around at your surroundings, you tried to find something to keep you occupied. You had already tried counting the stitches in the leather seats, but you had lost track countless times.

Finally, Sam and Dean came back outside, followed by the house's occupant, an attractive woman. She waved goodbye as the boys got back in the car, and you could have sworn you saw Dean wink at her.

"So get this," Sam began. "Apparently there have been multiple suicides here over the past month, and they're all out of the blue."

"So what are you thinking?" you asked, trying to figure it out yourself.

"I'm not sure yet, but we'll get to that later." Dean answered, putting the keys in the ignition.

"So, what do you think about going and looking around downtown?" Sam asked.

You looked up at him hopefully. "Really?"

"Yeah, there could be some records at the library that we could use." Dean said.

You pumped your fist in the air. "Yes! We can go to the library!"

Sam smiled at your joyful proclamation and suggested dinner first. Dean quickly agreed, and the Impala roared to life, driving towards the nearest diner.

After eating a bit too much, you headed to the library. You lifted the lid of your cup to see how much you had left to drink, and popped it back on seeing as it was still halfway full.

When you arrived at the library, you jumped out and stretched your legs again. You stood up and walked to the door with Sam in tow.

You decided to bring your drink in with you so you could just throw it away when you were finished. There was only a little bit left anyway.

You wandered off to the teen section and began browsing, occasionally sipping the remainder of your drink. You were looking at the cover art of a particularly interesting book, and you went to go show Sam.

You turned around and walked a few steps before walking smack into someone. You dropped the book and your drink, and you bent down to pick them up, apologizing profusely.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." a voice whispered and you saw a hand enter your line of vision. You looked up to see a tall boy, who was holding his hand out to help you up.

You gratefully grabbed his hand and pulled yourself off the ground. His hands are soft. You subtly observed.

You took half a second to look him over. He had black hair that fell into his brown eyes, and a dimple on his left cheek that showed when he smiled at you.

"Sorry about that. I should have been paying attention." he said, breaking the silence.

"Oh, no that was my fault. I should have been watching where I was going." you insisted.

"Well I still apologize for my clumsiness." he replied. "My name's Garrett, Garrett McBride."

Your eyes widened as his words registered in your brain. This was the kid whose parents died!

You decided you could help Sam and Dean out a little if you could talk to him about what happened.

"So, what's your name?" he asked, interrupting your train of thought. You looked up, suddenly remembering you were having a conversation.

"Oh, um, I'm (Y/n)," you paused, "(Y/n) Winchester."

So, I edited this chapter and the one before a bit so that I could fix some plot holes and it will hopefully make a bit more sense now. Anyway, happy reading! ;)

~Lilly