Chapter Four: Nightmare

Warnings: nightmares, abusive scene

You slept fitfully that night, tossing and turning all over the place. An occasional whimper would leave your lips as you dreamed. You were currently remembering your experiences at the children's home and let's just say they weren't pretty.

Crash! A glass bottle shattered against the wall, almost hitting you. "Why did I have to get stuck with such a miserable piece of trash?" a woman screeched.

You backed away into a corner, trying to make yourself as small as possible. "Please miss, I didn't mean to." you pleaded.

"Enough!" she shrieked, her fists shaking. "You were the one who knocked the pan over in the first place! Now my supper is all over the floor and it's your fault!"

She marched over to you with a rolling pin in hand. Your eyes widened in terror as she raised her weapon and you shielded your body as best as you could.

The rolling pin came down on your arm with a sickening thud, leaving you wailing in pain. You tried to crawl away but you were whacked on your ankle.

You screeched, curling up on yourself and trying to protect your already injured body. "Stop it! Please!" you begged, tears streaming down your cheeks.

The woman turned on you and yelled in your face. "Get up!" You squirmed, trying to put weight on your throbbing ankle. "I said get up!"

"I'm trying!" you protested. "Get up!" she yelled again.

"Get up!"

"Get up!

"Wake up!"

"(Y/n) wake up!"

You shot awake, breathing hard. A tall, dark silhouette was hovering over you. You yelped and backed away.

"No, please! Don't hurt me!" you sobbed, trying to bury yourself in the blanket.

"I'm not going to hurt you, but you need to calm down!"

A light turned on and you peeked out from under the blanket. It was Sam, his hair a mess and wearing nothing but sweatpants and a white tank top.

"Wha's goin' on?" a sleepy looking Dean ran into the room, bumping into the door and almost slipping from his socks on the wooden floor.

"(Y/n) was having a nightmare." Sam explained. He then turned to you. "You were screaming and crying real bad (Y/n), is everything okay?"

"'M fine." you mumbled.

"What were you dreaming about?" Dean asked quietly, wondering what could have caused you to be so distraught.

"It's nothing, honest." you lied, trying to avoid the subject.

"(Y/n), Dean and I have nightmares too, it's okay. Can you tell us why you were so upset?"

You inhaled sharply, recounting the events of your dream, before saying, "I dreamt I was back at the children's home."

That was enough for the boys to figure out what had you so upset.

"So, was it the lady?" Sam asked. You nodded.

"Did she hurt you?" You nodded again, a tear making its way down your face.

Sam and Dean shared a look, which they seemed to do a lot. "You gonna be okay kiddo?" Dean asked you.

You shrugged. "I don't know. I just feel like wherever I go, I'm still going to be just a burden. Like, you guys hunt monsters for a living! And I can't even handle a bad dream."

"You are not a burden (Y/n). I know it might seem like it to you, but that's not the case. You could even help us out if you wanted to." Sam said, trying to comfort you.

"Really? You mean it?!" you peered up at him, wiping your eyes.

"Woah woah woah, hang on. She can help with the small stuff." Dean interjected. "Like a salt and burn maybe."

"What's that?" you asked.

"A salt and burn is where we track down a ghost or spirit or whatever and burn the remains." Sam told you.

"Well that sounds easy!" you said, hoping for something more intense.

"Oh believe me sweetheart, it's more complicated than it sounds. Sometimes there aren't any remains and we have to find the dead person's possessions to burn instead." Dean explained, smirking slightly at your remark.

Your confident smile fell a tiny bit. "I'm a good finder though!" you exclaimed, your confidence returning. "I can find the person's thingy to burn! That can't be too hard."

Sam laughed at your attitude. You weren't too cocky, but he could still definitely see a lot of sass in your personality.

Kinda like Dean. he thought to himself.

"But we are not doing any of that right now," Dean said. "Seeing as it's 4 am."

Your eyes widened at Dean's words. "Oh no, I am so sorry! I didn't mean to wake everyone up." you apologized frantically.

"(Y/n), calm down! It's okay." Sam assured you. "It's perfectly normal to have nightmares. If you ever need to talk about anything like that you can always come talk to us."

Your (e/c) eyes teared up slightly. Dean noticed this and turned to you. "Hey, what's the matter?"

You sniffed and rubbed your eyes. "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be crying. It's just, I haven't been with you for that long, and already, you've treated me better than anyone else ever has."

"That's because we treat you like family. Nobody should have to go through what you have gone through, but that just shows how strong you are (Y/n). And about all those other people, screw 'em. They have no right to go around using you as a stress reliever." Sam said comfortingly.

"Can you promise something?" you asked nervously.

"Depends on what the promise is, princess." Dean said jokingly, trying to lighten the mood.

"Promise you won't leave me? Or take me back to the children's home?" you asked.

Sam stepped in immediately. "Listen, we would never take you back there, okay? And we would never leave you behind unless we absolutely had to."

"What he means by that is, the only reason we would leave you behind is if there was a chance you could die." Dean explained, putting it bluntly.

You nodded, understanding what he meant.

Jumping up from the bed, you embraced both Sam and Dean, wrapping your arms tightly around them. You whispered softly, "Thank you."

The boys smiled and returned your embrace. You let go and sat back on the bed sheepishly. "Sorry for that whole 'episode' earlier."

"That's alright, kiddo." Dean said, ruffling your hair.

You squealed and smacked his hands away, laughing.

"Now, get some sleep. You've got some training tomorrow." Sam told you as you rearranged the covers on your bed.

"Okie dokie!" you said and burrowed into the blankets once more.

Sam switched off the light as they left the room and, right before you closed your eyes, you heard Dean whisper, "Sleep tight, kid."

You smiled to yourself as you drifted off into a calm slumber.

Woohoo! Longest chapter yet! I thoroughly enjoyed writing the fluffy comfort scene, ughhhhh the boys are just so cute! Anywho, I'll be updating sooner or later so stay tuned! ;)

~Lilly