Declan (20)

-A few weeks later-

<Laurens POV>

Me: I'm back in the country. Can you meet now?

Unknown: Yeah. Where?

Me: There is a bakery downtown. My parents won't suspect a thing as long as I bring them back coffee. I'll send the address.

Unknown: So your parents really haven't figured who I am yet? We have been talking for almost a year.

Me: Nope and I would like to keep it that way. I gtg see you at 1:00?

Unknown: You can count on it!

I slipped my phone into my pocket and went to find Emily.

"I'm going to bike downtown and grab a sandwich or something for lunch. Do you want anything?" I asked hoping she would ignore me and let me go.

"Why don't I come with you. I need to see something other than an office building for a little while." Emily responded.

"No." I sighed "I really need quiet time where I can just think. And it was always so rainy in London I got no exercise. It will be good for me I promise."

Emily thought for a second. "Fine, bring me a Coffee from that weird bakery. Don't be too long or I will come looking for you." She joked.

"Thanks."

"Be safe." She shouted as I headed towards the staircase.

"Yeah."

When I arrived at the bakery, I ordered a cookie for myself with cash and sat down in the corner away from the window. I was shaky, and it felt like time was drifting as I waited for him to arrive.

"It's so good to see you." He said as he set his drink down on the table.

"You too." I hesitated. I spent a good minute staring at him up and down.

"What?"

"Even though I've seen pictures of you, I never realized how much you look like him. But I'm thrilled I finally get to meet you, Declan." I smiled.

"You too look so much like Lauren ..... I mean..."

"Don't worry about it."

He sighed and sat down "When you first contacted me I didn't believe you but when you sent me the photo of your arm, it was immediately recognizable. My dad had that tattooed on his wrist and I remember being so fascinated by it as a kid I would draw it on everything with my markers." He laughed changing the subject.

"Did you ever draw on the walls?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I remember doing it once and he got so mad. I don't know why because the walls were brick and concrete, but he hit me a couple of times." I shook my head "Anyway I guess It's just hard for me to believe he never hurt you."

"It's hard for me to believe he ever hurt anyone." He sighed. He looked down and swirled his drink.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel...."

A friendly smile came across Declan's face. "Don't feel bad. I lost him a long time ago. I didn't understand what was going on as a kid but in recent years I've been doing research into his past and there are just some things you can't unsee."

I nodded "Yeah. It's scary when it's in your blood."

"Tell me about it."

"Even though it's not in my family I still worry I'll do something horrible."