Lost 23

<Emily's POV>

Hours later I tapped my foot as I waited for any news on Lauren. I kept reliving those awful moments and blaming myself.

"I'm going to go to the vending machine. Do you guys want anything?" JJ asked standing up from the waiting room chairs.

"I'm fine, Thank you." Spencer replied.

"I'll walk with you." Garcia exclaimed.

"What about you Em?" JJ was concerned about everything I did and it was driving me insane. She had already forced me to see a doctor and eat a sandwich. I didn't see why everyone cared so much about me when Lauren was the one who was really hurt.

I shook my head as tears continued to stream down my face.

JJ, Garcia, and Spencer had stayed at the hospital with me while the rest of the team was out chasing down Ian. I had watched parents go through this before but I never realized how much pain they were truly in. Once we were alone for the first time Spencer moved closer.

"What did he do to her?" He asked keeping his eyes on the ground as he cried.

I spent a minute trying to find the right words "bad things.." I whispered not able to come up with much else.

"Did he......" he paused "touch her?"

I couldn't answer. Thankfully, I was saved by the bell when the rest of the team entered the waiting room. I stood up to give everyone a hug.

"Emily, what happened to your hand?" Rossi worried. I looked down at my bandaged hand. Even though it was painful all I could think about was how lucky I was to have Lauren with me in those moments.

"I was shot." I responded in a low whisper.

As I walked back to my chair, I could still hear the team whispering behind me.

"Has she gotten that checked out?" Luke asked JJ

"Yeah. They took the bullet out and then did a little reconstruction but she's refusing to take any painkillers." JJ sighed

"Are the parents of Lauren Prentiss present?" A doctor boomed from the doorway.

Spencer and I jumped up and ran to him with the team close behind.

"Yes, I'm her mother. Is she ok? Can I see her?" I asked frantically.

"My name is Dr. Martian. I've been overlooking your daughter's case." He said as he marked something down on his clipboard and then handed it to me. "I need both parents to sign here saying you accept all medical decisions that have already been made without your approval."

"Why, what happened? Is she ok?"

"I can not disclose any information until you sign this."

I signed it quickly and then handed it to Spencer to sign.

The doctor thanked us and then continued. "We were able to get the glass out safely but she has suffered major injuries. Thankfully, the glass didn't puncture anything major, but it's too soon to tell how well she will recover." He flipped a page on the clipboard and then as if he were reading something he said "The Stab broke quite a few of her ribs but didn't go any further than that. Her right ankle is sprained and tibia in that leg is also broken..."

"What's that?" Garcia cut him off

"Her shin bone."

She made a sad face as he talked.

"Her right shoulder is dislocated and her left arm is broken." He scanned over the paper flipping back and forth between a few pages. "uh... could I talk to you alone?" He said addressing me.