CHAPTER TWO: NO WAY! THEY'RE ZOMBIES!

Katrina: {HUNGRY! That was the only thought she had when she gasped and opened her eyes. Hunger and anger and confusion. She tracked the man that shot her and prepared to kill and feed finally.

There was so much noise and commotion around her though it forced her senses open. Her fogged mind and starved body raged against each other for control.

She could smell all the pulsing veins and arteries. All the beating hearts full of warm, fresh, life giving blood.

Her mind screamed for her to stop and concentrate. To regain some self-control. But there was so much going on she was having sensory overload and the animal side of her was quickly taking over.

She could literally feel herself losing control of her own body as her she crouched and prepared to leap onto this strange man who attacked her. Mostly out of fear she was sure, but he did still shoot her.

I – just – need – to – feed! Was all she could think now as her brain began to go into hunting mode.

I

Can't

Stop

Myself

She screamed in her mind as she lost the battle for control and the beast was all that remained.}

------------------------------------

Katrina leapt to her feet in a crouch ready to pounce on the first person that moved. Fangs bared and black eyes scanning the crowd, she found the one that shot her and bunched her leg muscles as she prepared to bring him down as her first of many kills for the evening. Seeing what was about to happen the crowd, accustomed to fighting vampires all their lives knew it was better to shoot first than to give one of them the chance to feed, all fired at almost the same time.

"NO!" I shouted and jumped in front of her trying to do something, I didn't know what but I couldn't just stand on the sidelines anymore. No more being a frightened little kid for me, if I was going to live this life I was going do it as a man. Or at least as close to one as a sixteen year old that didn't have a single facial hair other than on his head could get.

Time seemed to slow for me but it wasn't anything I was doing it was just that weird effect you get when something bad is about to happen.

There was a sudden flash of brilliant white light and I was temporarily blinded as the first crossbow bolt hit me in the right thigh the second and third struck me in the chest.

Suddenly I was surrounded by the smell of musky male scent mixed with that jasmine like smell, kind of like Katrina's scent but different.

It felt like I had just jumped into a pool filled with cotton balls. My headlong dive halted in mid air and I was suspended by something soft but unyielding. I heard the other gunshots and twang of crossbow strings but I felt nothing else as the room went dark.

I figured I must be dying and started to relax before thinking about Katrina. Fear flooded my thoughts again and it gave me strength as adrenaline pumped into my bloodstream. My senses were now hyper aware and I soon realized Katrina was pressed into my body from behind me. Her scent filled my nose along with the other similar one and I felt her breath on my neck.

She kissed my neck tenderly and said in a whisper, "Thank you for saving me Zach, I could never do anything to hurt you. I hope you know that." She said almost pleadingly, "As hungry as I am right now" she moaned and rested her head on my shoulder as the gaping wound in her chest and her growing thirst overpowered her ability to talk momentarily. "In the capsule before and even now, as much as I want to I would never be able to harm a hair on your cute little head."