Chapter 2

[Ashton's POV]

When I walked into my house, my mum was sipping on tea. She looked at me, hearing the door open, and let out a relieved sigh, then glared,"Where have you been? It is past 4 and your piano practice started at 3:30PM!"

"I'm sorry mum, but I had...I had to be held back to help this student with his work. I promise not to be late again," I said quickly, feeling extremely bad for lying. However, I was also kind of happy that I went with Luke around town.

She eyed me for a moment, then walked over and eyed me a bit. I felt my heart race,

praying she did not notice the bit of blood seeping through my blazer near my elbow from where I scraped myself on the concrete.

"Well, it seems as though you are already making friends." She smiled, though I knew she didn't care. "Just make sure they are nice children, because I do not want my son associating with bad kids." I nodded, and my mum motioned me to go upstairs,"Now, Ms. Lee has been waiting and you need to start piano practice. Ethan and Max will be by after, Ethan's mother and I are going to be discussing her wedding."

I nodded and gave her a small smile, but she just walked away. I let out a sigh of relief and rushed upstairs to the music room. It's a small room, just with my grand piano and some books and music sheets. I told my mum in wasn't necessary to have a whole room for my piano, but she insisted.

Ms. Lee was sitting on the bench, flicking through the music sheets of songs we've been practicing and I knocked, letting her know I am here. She looked up and smiled,"Hello Ashton, I was wondering when you would get here."

"I'm sorry, I had some tutoring to do," I lied, using the excuse Luke gave me. It made me feel guilty, but he was right. Maybe I had to live a little and lie every once in a while so I could have some fun.

When she brushed it off, we got to work and she helped me practice the piece I have been doing, Mozart's 'Symphony No. 40'. I have been doing well on it and we have been practicing for a while, but I still mess up at times and she explained it was just the positioning of my hands, but mine are so big and can help, tough also gets in the way.

After an hour, Ms. Lee patted my shoulder and sat up, stacking the music sheets,"You have improved a lot since I first taught you, I'm very proud."

Ever since I was 6, she's been teaching me and is almost like an aunt. My mum forced me into learning the piano, but I actually like it now and I have Ms. Lee in my life, who is nice and sweet. Though, she is 50 and kind of old, I still love her.

By the time she left, I did my homework and studied a bit. Usually I would have my own tutor, but my mum told me it was not needed, considering I'm not being home-schooled anymore, which was fine with me. I'm a straight A student, and my mum pressures me to get good grades, so I feel the need to stuff my face in books 24/7.

Once I was done, I heard my mum call me down from the intercom and I sighed, rolling my eyes. She just had to get me one, saying she shouldn't have to come upstairs to call me down for dinner. I think she uses my dad's money far too much then needed.

As I went downstairs, I could hear Ms. White and my mum chatting in the kitchen. Betty White is her 'friend' and she is getting married to this guy named James Jameson, though I

doubt she actually likes him and is just using him for money.

When I got downstairs, I saw Ethan and Max whispering in the corner of the room, a bit closer than necessary. My mum and Ms. White looked up at me and Ms. White gave a forced smile,"Hello Ashton."

I shook her hand, returning the smile,"Nice to see you again Ms. White."

She doesn't like me, actually she just doesn't like kids in general. Ethan isn't her son, he is Mr. Jameson's and she acts like she likes him, but everyone can tell it's just an act. Everyone except James. Rich people drama.