Chapter Three

38 days, 28 minutes, 56 seconds left.

I didn't do anything but to watch myself sleeping on the bed and listening to my parents, friends, visitors and Raymonds talks in the hospital.

Nobody of them cried.

Dad told everyone not to cry and stay being optimistic because I'm not yet dead so will they cry, he said.

Dad want that whenever I'll wake up, I should see them staying wearing a smile so that I'll not think of any problems.

My mom always cry before but now she tried to stop yet, she almost cried now.

"Sunshine." Dad said as he patted her back.

"I should not, I should not." She said, smiling with watery eyes.

My daily goal is to cheer up my family, friends, and everyone who crosses my path.

I think every problem in the world can be solved with a candy bar and a smile, two things that I always ready to pull out from my pocket.

As long as I know that everybody is happy, I am too.

I need to talk to scheduler.

I met him somewhere in this hospital, so maybe he's here. I've decided to walked around and hope to see him.

I can't see him.

Where is he?

I keep on walking around and there he is. I ran to him and poked him.

"Uh, hi?" Then smile.

"Why are you here? I'm on my work." He replied, continuing on his work, he seems really busy.

"I want to, uh ask something?" Asking awkwardly.

"Not again, Diane. Not again."

"This isn't working, this plan is not working."

"Can you use your patience for this time?"

"Uh, no?" Then I chuckled, but it's true I can't use it now. "Can I ask you something?" Begging him and showed him my sad and watery eyes.

"Stop showing me that." I guessed I won. "What do you want?"

"Can I, uhm, can I live just for a while?" Then he got shocked, "No, I mean like just 1 night or something?"

"No! There's a rule Diane." Then he immediately went in a room.

I just followed him, "Just for one day, I will just tell them not to worry and continue their lives normally and a perfect goodbye for them and I can go and stop begging you to let me live."

He took out his notepad and told the boy on the bed, "It's time." Then the same sequences happened.

"No Diane, okay?" He walked very fast and I followed him, walking very fast too to grabbed his arm.

"Wait, just (breathing) walk slowly please." I asked. "Nobody cried and how can I live again? The time is running."

"Diane, one more time, I'll ignore you." He said, getting more serious.

"Okay."

"That's one of the rules, dead people are not allowed to go back to their body even for a zero point number second. So I have an idea." He said. "There's a twenty-six-years-old girl, a worker at a burger joint on a night shift only and sleeps during the whole day. She lives alone and never talks to anyone except when necessary. She changed a lot because of his boyfriend... Jake... he died."

"How terrible." I murmured.

Then he continued, "She became a recluse, insipid, and spiritless person. With nothing else to live for, her only wish is to die and her hobby is courting death. So, I think you can use her body ONLY for day time because she has a work to do in night but you have rules to follow." Then he told me the list of rules.

One of the rules I remembered was, never to fall in love to someone. I didn't listen well to him because the list was too long. I got bored actually.

I cut him, "Okay, okay scheduler, thank you!"

"This night, you may go to the burger joint and know her, if you want to. You can start using her body and Diane, go back home around 5 okay? And you can only use her body if it's twelve, TWELVE in the morning, just for sure. Please, really, follow the rules Diane." He instructed me.

Scheduler.

I'm Jake. I got a girlfriend before but I don't know if our relationship is okay now since I left her crying because I died, a sudden death, no signs and no goodbyes.

I have a boss, I called her 'Señorita'. She want to grant my wish but I forgot what it is.

She's like a boss for me as a scheduler. She told me that when I'll complete my achievements as a scheduler, I may grant my wish.

Diane Santos, a lady who wants me to help her. She's annoying, very one and she's so lucky for those puppy eyes which made me to help her.

"I don't want to be with her." I complained.

"It's your work and responsibility so that you can have your wish."

"Why Diane? Why not others?"

"There's a connection. You'll know it as you know her more and help her."

Connection. Big word. What connection? And, of who? Ours? No and never.