1

It was half way through Eli's shift when the doorbell sang its little tune for what felt like the hundredth time that day. And for the hundredth time that day, his heart skipped a beat at the prospect of it being him.

Peter wasn't one to be late, and he hadn't bailed on Eli a single time in the many years they'd known each other. It was what made waiting so excruciating. Eli couldn't help but dwell on the fear that Peter had found something better, someone better to spend time with.

He turned to his uncle as he finished stocking tins of cigars on the shelves.
"I guess he's not coming," he sighed as he walked over and leant on the counter, looking defeated.

"He said he would," his uncle assured him. "That boy's never let you down yet, has he?" He chuckled as he ruffled Eli's curly hair. Eli smiled and pushed his hand away as he walked back over to the window, watching people walk past the shop, lost in their own little worlds.
The sun was shining, reflecting in the puddles on the street, not a cloud in the sky as bright and blue as jewels. Eli stood with his arms crossed, still except for the slight rocking back and forth on his heels he tended to do, half searching the crowd for Peter and half just people watching. He watched a woman pushing a child in a pram while she screamed at an older boy to stop kicking rubbish about in the road and hurry up. A young man with red hair stood on the corner outside the butchers with a cigarette between his lips while a shorter man with dark hair leant in and lit it for him. An old man sat on a bench outside the fishmongers, coaxing in a stray cat until it jumped onto his lap and ate out of his hand.

But more than anything, Eli noticed the stares of the people walking past, the judgemental glances before moving onto their so called 'proper German' shops. They'd take a look at the hand painted sign above the door with the words 'Ackermann Curiosities' printed in his uncle's need handwriting and they'd make their judgements off that alone. These days, that was enough.

Eli was old enough to remember a time before everything began to fall apart in Germany. He was seventeen, had been fifteen when Hitler came to power two years prior in 1931. He remembered a time when people came into the shop regardless of politics because Kurt Ackermann was a friendly man and the small shop he ran was almost always full of customers. Now it was quiet, with Eli and his uncle being the only ones inside. There had been issues in the 20s - rising tensions due to various financial disasters that Eli didn't understand at the time (and still fully didn't) and the need to find a scapegoat emerged. It hadn't been perfect but life was busy enough in Berlin to ignore it.

Slowly, things were getting worse. But Eli was still just a teenager, and he had other things to worry about. Namely, the fact that his best friend still hadn't showed up.

Peter had said he'd pick him up about now. He'd said he had plans, and that he was going to love what they were going to do this afternoon. It was a secret though and he'd been taunting Eli with it all week. These days, everything seemed to be a secret. Including their relationship.

Peter was his friend around everyone else, nothing more. He wouldn't kiss him, hold his hand, even look at him for too long. Of course, Eli knew he had his reasons, he was scared, that was all. He'd seen so many family friends and neighbours be reported just for muttering something meaningless. The woman who lived 4 doors down got herself into a lot of trouble just the other week, and everyone thought she was perfect. So many children, all pure Germans, the girl's learning to be housewives, the boys to be soldiers. Flag proudly displayed on the porch. Then word got out she was having an affair with Mr Aronowitz from across the street, and then everyone hated her. Her husband left, and now she washes clothes for a living, her children scrounging for food in the dustbins.

It had been happening a lot. People told stories at school, all aimed at him. Of course, everyone knew he was Jewish, and they all hated him. Peter avoided him at school. He said it would raise suspicions, because he was years older, nothing to do with religion. Eli didn't believe him. So he had no friends at school, and couldn't even talk to his boyfriend when not in class. Not that anyone could ever know they were together. Relationships between Jews and Germans were banned, even if he was a girl. If anyone found out they were gay, they'd both be in for it. He got the feeling it wouldn't be long before he was kicked out of the school anyway, so he was just trying to stick it out until he could leave those assholes behind.

"Eli!" His uncle called, snapping him out of his daydream. He'd been so lost in his thoughts, he hadn't heard the telltale tinkling of the bell when the door opened. His lips spread into a grin when he saw Peter standing there, practically glowing in the golden sunlight shining through the shop window. He was perfect. Every girl at school fawned over him, holding onto his arms no matter how many times he pushed them away. The golden blond hair that fell in soft waves, swept carefully out of his eyes, a small tuft constantly sticking up at the back, the dark blue eyes that seemed to hold the ocean in them. He was tall, a good foot taller than Eli, muscular and athletically built, a stark contrast to Eli who was small and scrawny, with brown curly hair that had a mind of its own and hazel eyes.

Eli didn't really care how Peter looked, sure he was hot, but he was so kind it outweighed it. Everything he did was for someone else, to protect someone else. He was honest, and loyal, and gracious. Everything about him was just perfect. And Eli loved him. He made him happier.

"C'mon then, Schatzi," Peter grinned, holding out his hand, his other one gripping a wicker picnic basket. Eli smiled back and walked towards him, resisting the urge to kiss him on the cheek. His uncle knew, but the people on the street could see them, and Peter seemed to notice that also as he let his hand fall back to his side before Eli had a chance to take it.

"How's your day been?" Peter asked as he glanced around the shop before returning his gaze to Eli, his smile only getting brighter. "Good?"

Eli simply nodded and gave a quick wave to his uncle, eager to go. "See you later, thanks for the afternoon off!" He called as he opened the door and dragged Peter out with a laugh.

"Oh god," he muttered. "Most boring morning of my life."

"Little liar," Peter said, nudging him with his shoulder. "Thought you said you enjoyed working there."

"Not gonna say I hate it to his face, am I?"

"Aw, don't be mean. Your uncle's lovely."

"Never said he wasn't."

A long silence passed, every second stretching.
"Are you mad at me?" Peter asked quietly. "What was it? Did I say something? Was I too obvious in front of your uncle? I know you don't like to show our relationship off-"

"I don't like to show this relationship off?" Eli repeated, his voice hushed. "Says you!"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you never even talk to me if you can help it!"

"I'm here now," Peter said, sounding hurt. "Eli, I packed a picnic, I wanted to go have a nice time with you. A date," he stressed. His hurt tone made Eli finally look up at him, and he sighed in defeat.

"Sorry," he muttered. "Just not having a great day."

Peter didn't say anything else, but they soon reached a quiet park, and he made sure they found a bench in a part where no one went, partly hidden by a large willow tree and some rose bushes. "Talk to me."

Eli sighed and waved his hands in their air, trying to express something he couldn't put into words. "Life at home isn't great. My mum is struggling. She's trying to earn enough to keep us going, but it's been difficult since she was fired. She's still so kind to me, and I just wish I could do more to help her out."

There was more. There was so much more. He never really talked to people much. His thing with his mom was his excuse. If someone thinks something is up, tell them a story which is relevant to so many, and they won't keep digging. Won't ask about the constant fear of being arrested, thinking about the stories of torture, people being sent to prison for nothing, separating families. The lurk of terrible things in the distance, so much worse than they were in now. His troubles with Peter, feeling he wasn't good enough, that Peter didn't really want him. All his hope was pinned on him, if Peter were to leave, he didn't know what he'd do. He was terrified, terrified of the present, but more so the future. What was going to hit him next?

AN: hallo.
Pretty short chapter to introduce my bois. Updates will be slow because prelims are coming up but I'll try.
Please let me know if you're interested in reading more of this story :D