Feliz Navidad!

Merry (late) Christmas!

And Happy Belated Hanukkah/Kwanza for those who celebrate!

For this post, I'll be writing the Christmas celebrations in Latino/Hispanic countries where the majority of people are Christian (Catholic to be more specific). I won't get all the countries in one post but I'll make a part 2 another day.

El Salvador 🇸🇻
For this, I'll be using my own experiences although some people do things different like going to church. Usually on Christmas Eve we have a party, or go to one, at a family member's house and stay up until about 1am - 2am. We leave the presents we bring under the Christmas tree. We eat good food, talk with family and play with cousins and friends while we wait for midnight. For food, we usually have a big dinner and dessert with pupusas, tamales, pan con pollo, empanadas, pan dulce and other delicious options to eat. At midnight, we open presents and begin throwing fireworks on the streets to celebrate the birth of Jesus and being together on Christmas.

Spain 🇪🇸
Another word for Christmas in Spanish speaking countries is Nochebuena. Most people in Spain go to church for mass at midnight. This specific mass is called "La Misa del Gallo", The Mass of the Rooster, because a rooster crowed the night Jesus was born. Before they go to church, Spanish people usually have their main Christmas dinner, Pavo Trufado de Navidad. Another Christmas tradition that takes place on the 22nd is the lottery which has been tradition since 1812. This is such a big tradition that it is nicknamed El Gordo, or the Fat One.

Equatorial Guinea 🇬🇶
In this Hispanic African country, they have a blend of Spanish and native African traditions. In some regions they have a dance known as balélé which is preformed for many celebrations multiple times a year. The women usually dance balélé and are accompanied by a few men playing instrumental music. Equatorial Guineans (sorry idk if that's right) decorate their houses and Christmas trees festively. They eat a big dinner composed of chicken with a peanut butter/cream sauce with rice and plátanos, mear/fish grilled and served with crushed pumpkin seeds in leaves, sweet potatoes, cassava, and other foods for dinner and dessert.

Paraguay 🇵🇾
Like most Latin American countries, Paraguayans come together with their families to have a late night party until after midnight to celebrate on Christmas Eve. Firework stands are seen everywhere and foods such as Vorí Vorí (a type of soup), Pan Dulce and Chipa Guasú are eaten for dinner and dessert. All the houses and even the churches are decorated with festive lights, flowers and pesebres (nativity scenes). The pesebres show Jesus's birth, baby Jesus is in a basket surrounded by the three wise men, the Virgin Mary, Joseph and a few farm animals.

Nicaragua 🇳🇮
Catholic Nicaraguans celebrate La Purisma (December 7) and La Griteria (December 7) before Christmas in honor of Mary. Christmas festivities and celebrations usually start on the 16th. Nicaraguans eat Gallo Pinto, Casamiento, tres leches and more on Christmas. They buy lots of things on the streets like candles, candies, pine trees, flowers, toys, and food. Carolers can be heard everywhere as they go door to door singing Carols in Spanish.

Dominican Republic 🇩🇴
One sign of Christmas in the Dominican Republic is charamicos. What are these you might ask? Charamicos are hand crafted, wooden Christmas trees, reindeers and stars. Angelitos is the term for exchanging gifts for friends/co workers in a game like Secret Santa. During their late night parties on Christmas Eve to Day they serve dishes such as Puerco asado (Roasted pork), Pasteles en Hojas, Pan Telera and Galletitas dulces y biscochos. Bright decorations are seen everywhere in the tropics from the Flores de Pascua (Poinsettia flowers) to the Christmas lights decorating every house.