Chapter Six

After eating, Little Gwen began getting sleepy, nodding off as we sat on the couch watching a cartoon I didn't have a clue the name of. I shuffled slightly as her head began slipping from against my arm. Surprisingly she grew comfortable with me quite quickly, while as I needed to know a bit more about her and her qualities before I let myself fully became attached. Of course I knew I wanted her to be my little, it was almost instinctual. However I wouldn't let myself create a mess, I need to with her. She was a doll, a beautiful girl whom only wanted love. I wanted to give her just that and more. But it'll happen with time. Now, I'll act as almost her babysitter. I'll feed, clothe, protect and care for her. No matter how much more I may want from her.

"Mm" Gwen hums in her sleep, nuzzling her nose against my neck. Reaching over I stroke her cheek with the pad of my thumb before moving over, allowing her to lay snugly on the couch with a blanket tucked around her. God damn she was so beautiful.

Standing up I begin cleaning up the mess from dinner, washing dishes and scrubbing tables while softly whistling. I had work in a few days, and I wasn't sure how Gwen would handle staying alone hours on end. The maids only stayed until two- maybe I could hire one to work until I got home. Or hire an actual babysitter. I'd have to consult with what the little girl would be comfortable with, that's the most important factor.

"Daddy..." I hear a soft whisper as I grab for the broom. Pausing my actions I turn around, staying still to listen for any other words. My heart thudded quick in my chest, the name hitting me hard. It's been years since I've heard it, been called it. Whether it was with giggles or tears, it easily flipped my switch. However the way Gwen spoke the word, it was almost a plea. As though a yearning for something. Or someone.

She shuffled again, and I watched intensely. Her eyes slowly fluttered open and I still stayed in place as she pushed herself up, hair strands falling upon her face. My fingers itched to tuck them away for her but I still stood my ground. Finally her eyes caught mine and hers lit up, a tiny smile growing larger as she struggled from her blanket and rushed over, giving me a tight hug.

"Nathan!" She giggles, bouncing away slightly to smile up at me cutely. I chuckled at Gwen's energized self, seeing as it's almost nine and she's wide awake.

"Sweet pea you should still be sleeping" I speak, crouching down a bit to her height, holding her fingers in mine to prevent fidgeting. She glances down at our hands and smiles just a bit wider

"But I can't sleep!" She huffs, yanking her hands away from mine and spinning before tackling me in a hug. I laugh and hug her tight, pushing her back away afterwards

"Well if you don't sleep it'll take forever to see me again tomorrow" suddenly her eyes widen in fright and she laches on to me again

"But I wanna stay with you" my heart may have just melted a bit at her words. She was so sweet, it was horrible.

"Well... the faster you go to sleep the faster you get to stay with me tomorrow" I whisper, knowing it's not what she meant by her words, but avoiding the matter. I needed to keep a steady pace with her. There's no rushing. No mistakes.

Gwen solemnly nodded her head, giving me a sad little look. I sighed. I knew she wanted me to cuddle and comfort her until she slept. It's what I wanted. But I didn't know her well enough to do those things. There was just an undeniable attraction between us. However I can't put myself to act on it like a dumbass.

"How about this: I took you in and read you a story. Then in the morning, I make you whatever you want for breakfast" Gwen nods her head happily and races up the stairs, causing me to chuckle. She'll definitely be mine one day

*******

Gwen was falling asleep, no matter how hard she fought it. Her eyes fluttered shut every minute, however she continued opening them to pay attention to the story I read. Winnie the Pooh, her favorite she told me. She cuddles her pink elephant tightly as I spoke, keeping my voice soft and calming so she can stay relaxed and drift off peacefully. We were coming to the end of the story, and I had to refrain myself from yawning consistently or blink for too long because I would surely drift off with her as well.

I flipped to the very last page, and only then did I notice that her soft breathing slowed, and her occasional shuffling had seized. I chuckled, dropping the book upon her nightstand and leaning down to press a gentle kiss to her forehead. This caused her to stir the tiniest bit, yet not awake thank goodness. I brush my hand along her soft cheek, admiring her beautiful face and all of its perfections. There was nothing I could ever want to change about this young woman. I'd love to cherish every part of her one day. One day.

After a second I head out of her room, keeping her night light on in case she woke up in the middle of the night. I wasn't too tired, and I still had work to do, so I decided to brew myself some coffee and head into the office. There was a man whom had been wanting to create an agreement with the boss- his company clashed ideas with the one I worked for, so to create compromise, he's been hoping for a team company. I doubt it would fall through, but boss's orders were to do research on the company and see if it was even worth his time to look into.

With a sigh I grab my coffee and trudge up the stairs, making sure to turn off all unnecessary lights as I do so. The house was large and I knew it could possibly frighten Gwen if she woke up, but I would be up long enough to soothe her if she did. At the thought of her my eyes warms. She was such a cutie.

My hand opened up the door automatically as I finally reach my office. It was just as quiet as the rest of the house, but it might've been a little darker than it. I enjoyed that fact. Sitting down at my chair I immediately get to work, firstly getting basics down, for instance their income and average work pay for employees. Then I begin searching for any dirt they might've blown. Scams, mishaps on the job, etc etc. I found nothing of the sort. They seemed alright, like any basic company. Seemed. I wasn't truly interested in their business. I knew they wouldn't combine with whom I worked for now. But the headline I read guaranteed that to the trillionth power.

Blues's CEO ditches girlfriend, ends lives on the street behind dumpster

Underneath was a picture of Gwen. My Gwen.