Chapter eight

Gwen trotted off into her room after breakfast, deciding that playing with her toys was much more important than spending time with me, and or getting to know me better. I had only just found her a few days ago, but we acted as though we knew each other our whole lives. We were completely and utterly comfortable in each other's presence, which surprised me. I hadn't ever acted like this with any other little I cared for. Maybe this was why I was so adamant on protecting her from the boss and his wicked plans. The thought truly frightened me. I wasn't some oh so powerful CEO of a rich and successful business. I was his right hand man sure- the guy he came to in order for solutions to problems. But I didn't have much order after that. I knew I couldn't hide much from Mr. Steele. He could decipher a lie like a fly from a bear. It was unearthly to say the least. I already decided I would simply lead him away from Gwen, tell him she was some other place and pin it on another woman (I know it's terrible but I wasn't going to make it that cruel). However what about after that fact? Run away? Create a new life for myself and Gwen while we hide in the shadows of some unknown city? That's surely not what I wanted for myself, nor the little girl. I needed input from someone else, yet I also didn't want anyone else to know of what I was going to do. Who knows how deep other employees loyalty run to the boss.
     I sighed and ran my hand through my dark hair. I was only supposed to take a day off from work, but here I am two more days later sitting at my desk practically researching how to get away with murder. Not truly, but that's what it felt like. Pushing my chair away from its position I rubbed my eyes, getting rid of the blur I felt getting comfortable in my sight and stood up. I needed other activities to do to relax, and one thing I know for a fact would help is killing two birds with one stone. Spending time with Gwen, and shopping for her. A smirk appears on my face thinking about her reaction to shopping. I wonder when the last time she bought anything for herself was, or when anyone got her anything at all. Nonetheless today would be a day all about her and her needs/wants.
.....
     "Hey cutie" I approach carefully as she plays with her stuffies. A little red fox with big beady eyes was going on a date with a pink dinosaur that had yellow polka dots. An interesting choice of significant others I have to say. Gwen quickly turns around to face me and smiles, making my heart race a little. God she was so damn beautiful. She races up to me, her cheeks burnt happily and eyes shinning bright.
     "Hi Nathan! Did chu come to plays wif me?" Gwen asks, her little talk making me chuckle. Her hands grasped mine and she teetered back and forth on the balls of her feet adorably. In that moment all I wanted was to grant her her wish and give her all my time to play whatever she wanted, but I had plans I needed to do. Spoiling her rotten was on the top of my bucket list.
     "Actually I can't right now darling, maybe when we get back from shopping for you" I snuck what was going to happen and her fallen face quickly snapped to excitement once again.
     "Shopping!? Let's go let's go!" She hurries, pulling me along to the front door, however I stop her while holding back a laugh.
     "Alright alright Gwen. I understand you're excited but we still have to get you ready and go over some rules while we're outside, okay?" She quickly nods her head, eager to get over the boring stuff. I smirk and hold her hand to pull her back into her room. Dropping an outfit on the bed and stepping out to give her privacy. Afterwards brushing her hair and slyly giving her a kiss on the crown of her head just for looking soo cute.
     "Okay. First off no running off, I don't want you getting lost and getting scared. Plus anyone could snatch you up and we don't want that do we?" Gwen shakes her head no in fright, making me chuckle and give her hand a little squeeze in comfort.
     "Second, always be in my line of sight, just so I can keep an eye on you. I want you safe and happy always. Lastly, if I say no, it means no. It doesn't matter the context. Do you understand?"
     "Yes Nathan" she smiles brightly, clearly happy at the simple rules she had to follow. I nod my head with a small smile directed towards her and stand up.
     "Okay then. I gets we're ready to go then" Gwen squeals excitedly and dashed to the front door, waiting with a large grin for me to open it. She knew better than to open doors without my permission, for her safety and mine. Strolling over to her I pat her head with approval
     "Good job kitten". Gwen hummed happily and her small, shy smile widened with glee. She was such a happy little, it surprised me seeing as she's gone through such hardships. It was admirable. I suppose all she looked for was a little bit of love and and someone to care for her and make her joyous. I wanted to be that person.
     I opened the door for Gwen and she stepped out, eyes squinting to adjust to the difference in light. She looked around my property for a second before turning back to me and clutching my arm, shy. She was clearly intimidated by the new area. Curious but still extremely timid. I soothingly rubbed her back and gave her the comfort she needed, all the while closing the front door and leading her to one of the many cars I owned. I didn't want her to act this way when we arrived at the mall. I knew she initially would, but I was hopeful that after a while of spending time there, she would warm up to her surroundings and enjoy herself.
     "Cmon sweet pea, today is your day. Let's have fun alright?" I give her little body a squeeze before propping her into the passenger side, locking the seat belt around her. Gwen hesitantly nods her head and gives a bashful smile, staring into my eyes with an innocent look. My mind races back to Mr. Steele and the plans he could be creating to involve her in. There was no way I could just hand her over. She was too precious for this world. I just got lucky.

..........

Hey guys! Next chapter is the shopping scene! Hope you guys enjoyed this one, I know it's a little short but the next one will be longer, and maybe have a little bit of drama ? ;)

Love, A