Chapter Seven

My hearts beating ceased for a second. Hands stilled on the scroller of my laptop. Every muscle in my face dropped my precious expression. There was no way... however clearly it was true. The article read of  how their relationship was arranged, and Blue's CEO, who's name was Tommy Small, had become red up with the immaturity Gwen constantly displayed and kicked her out. "Apparently" more than once. Eventually the third time Gwen returned for help setting herself on her feet, Tommy found her a place he said she belonged. Behind a dumpster, covered in filth and with only the belongings she carried on her.
     Anger was the only emotion traveling through my body. The audacity this man had to quite literally throw away such an innocent woman. A fucking little! In such disgusting conditions I'm sure Gwen was in little space more than half of her time there, too afraid and sad to truly wonder out of her whole to find help. Until I came along... suddenly I felt the need to comfort Gwen. I knew she was resting peacefully at the moment. However the urge to embrace her tightly and whisper how everything would be alright, that I would take great care of her and protect her, was immensely powerful.
     I leaned back into my chair. No. I couldn't bother her right now. There were more important matters at hand. Picking up my cell I speed dialed the boss. He was always up. I'm not sure if he ever slept if I'm being truthful. Upon the second ring he picked up
     "What do you have Nathan?" He muttered. His mouth seemed full of some type of food, and I held back the temptation of small chuckle. His appetite never ended, was almost eleven and he still ate. I cleared my throat of any possible laughter and glanced towards my laptop with the article of Tommy's actions.
     "Tommy Small, the CEO of Blues, ditched his girlfriend behind a dumpster just recently. She lived there until a few days ago" . My pulse spiked as I shed the truth from him. I unintentionally shoved myself into Tommy's scandal, it didn't sit well with me. Who knows how many other people could possibly be aware of me "adopting" Gwen. All I knew about her was she needed help, and I gave it to her. I didn't know she was the ex of some billionaire psychopath.
     "Do you happen to know who picked her up?" Boss questions. I shake my head subconsciously before answering hesitantly
    "No sir" fuck I could lose my job if he finds out I'm lying to him. All over a little! Why am I protecting her from the man I work for like this? What am I so worried about? He wouldn't do anything to her- so then why do I have a bad feeling about telling him the truth?
     "Hmm. Well okay. Nathan- find out who took her. And when you do, bring her to me. I already declined Blue's proposition. But I could use her..." he hung up before completely finishing his sentence. My heart was pumping so quickly I was sure boss could hear it through the phone. What could he possibly be able to do with Gwen?? Tommy clearly has no interest in her, so he couldn't use her as bait or collateral. Then what!?
     One thing was clear. He wasn't going to get Gwen. I promised to keep her safe. Even if it meant losing my job. Fuck. That thought hurt.

..........

     "Nathan!!!" Screaming through the house echoed loudly, and I groaned into my arms. I fell asleep at my desk yesterday, thinking about what I would say to boss when I tell him I couldn't find Gwen. It had to be believable. But I've dug out people before. Why couldn't I all of a sudden not find this puny little thing? See- I had a pretty concerning dilemma.
     "Nathan!!!" Gwen yelled again. I moaned even louder into my arms. I just wanted to be left alone today. To ponder my plan while eating junk. Of course that wasn't going to happen at all. The thought still tauntingly crossed my mind. I stood up, my white shirt wrinkled up my torso and my sweats revealing the waist line of my boxers. I didn't care. It was too early to bother with proper attire. Plus it was my house, I could be naked if I felt, nobody would be able to say anything. Stepping out of my office I began the slow decent down the stairs, allowing the sound of complete ruckus to lead me to Gwen, discovering her at the couch. Crayons scattered around her, legos strewed this way and that, coloring books in front of her, messily colored in. She was dressed in the sweetest little baby blue romper with small daisy's printed on it. I tried to act stern. I truly did. Yet the scene before me was just too cute. The screaming wasn't. But the picture was. At my arrival Little Gwen's previous attention to her coloring seized and her head turned to become captivated by me.
     "Nathan!!!" She happily exclaimed, a big smile on her little face. She hopped off the couch and bounced towards me, wrapping her arms around my towards and smushing her face just below my chest. I chuckled thoughtfully.
     "Good morning sweet pea. How's your morning been?" I murmured. Petting her hair with care. It needed a good brushing.
     "Weally gud! Maidy helped me pick out clothes! And bwush teeths!" I smiled at her cute pronunciation of words and gathered that one of my maids helped her get ready this morning. I backed away from her embrace and patted her head once more before smiling at her
     "That was very nice of them wasn't it?" To my question she nodded her head quickly and dismissed the topic by saying
     "I want blueberry pancakes for breaky!" I did tell her I would make her anything didn't I? I would get one of the cooks to do it but that wouldn't settle very well for me seeing as how I told her I would specifically make it for her. I rub the back of my neck sheepishly and nod with a sigh. It's been a while since I've cooked for myself, nonetheless anyone else.
"Alright cutie. Let me just go wash up and I'll be down to make breakfast." I would surely play this off as long as I could. Gwen agreed brightly and followed me to the bathroom, clutching onto the hem of my shirt. I shook my head at her clingy behavior with a slight smirk. It was cute for now sure, but in the future she can't always be so attached, it'll end up with problems. I brushed my teeth with her sitting on the sink, and changed from my pajamas into casual clothes with her blushing furiously under my covers. Once I finished we bounded downstairs
"Okay. While I cook you clean up your mess. Deal?" Gwen thought for a second
"Otay!" And began to rush off, but I stopped her quickly
"And if you do a really good job, I'll add a little something special to your pancakes" I winked and she gasped excitedly before pushing me away and running to clean up fast. I threw my head back and laughed before starting up the stove to begin heating up.
That extra special thing ended up being whip cream. Which she of course made a big mess with.

**********

Sorry for the long break. I just needed a while to finish up work for school! Ya girl wanted to pass this year lol. Lemme know how you guys liked this chapter, and what you'd like to see more of with these characters. FYI if you didn't know already, there's gonna be quite a bit of fluff in this book, along with the actual conflict which you guys are getting some of already ;)

6/21/19

Love, A