Chapter 4 - New Students

Phoenix stood next to her Aunt as the first years flooded into the big room. The first years gave her odd glances not expecting to see the child. Phoenix was not paying attention as her Aunt gave the speech Phoenix had heard one every year. Although she was only four she had already memorized the speech and was mouthing it much to the amusement of the first years. McGonagall's glare caused the young child to stop so she scanned the children's faces. She saw a boy with crazy black hair and a thin lightning shaped scar on his forehead staring at her. She flashed him a smile and then followed her aunt who was turning to leave. Her aunt bent down and told her to stay and watch the first years. The young child quickly agreed and ran out of the room. She reached the hall where she was alone and swiftly turned into Phoenix. Then she flew back into the hall and landed on the rafters. The first  years all gasped. Then one blond haired boy stood in front of the kid with black hair. Phoenix watched with interest ready to fly down to protect the young boy. "Is it true" the blond one said " they're saying all down the train that Harry Potter's come to hogwarts. So it's you, is it?" "Yes" the boy with black hair who she assumed was Harry said. There were two boys next to the blonde one who the blond kid introduced as Crabbe and Goyle. Then the blond boy introduced himself as Draco Malfoy. When Ron, who she had previously met, chuckled a little Malfoy turned on him " think my name's funny do you" Malfoy said "no need to ask who you are. My father told me all the Weasleys have red hair, freckles and more children then they can afford". This aggravated Phoenix because she the Weasleys had always been nice to her and she was particularly fond of Ginny. Then Malfoy held out his hand to Harry and said " You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you out there". "I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself thanks." Harry said Phoenix smiled to herself and found herself liking Harry more and more. "I'd be careful if I were you, Potter." Said Malfoy slowly " unless you're a bit politer you'll go the same way as your parents. They didn't know what was good for them either. You hang around with riff - raff like the Weasleys and that Hagrid it'll rub off on you." Phoenix didn't like that at all so she flew down and landed on Harry's shoulder glaring at Malfoy. "Say that again" Harry said. "Oh, your going to fight us, are you?" Malfoy sneers. Phoenix glare at him although she doubted he noticed since she was a bird. "Unless you get out now" Harry said bravely.  "But we don't feel like leaving do we, boys? We've eaten all our food and you still seem to have some." Malfoy said. Goyle reaches for a chocolate frog Ron was holding. Ron leapt forward to save this candy but Goyle let out a horrible yell. Phoenix flapped my wings startled by the yell and looked at Goyle to see a rat hanging of of Goyle's finger. She smiled but flew over to grab the rat. She flapped my wings in Goyle's face and then flew over to Harry's shoulder. Phoenix dropped the rat in Ron's hand just as her aunt came in.

- authors note -
I kind of had to mix the books and the movies and my own mind so sorry if you were confused. I am just trying to make the story work and I kinda mixed them on accident.