~A Man's Value~

*Play Song*

"What does this have to do with Zianna?" Aaron asks, now with Garroth, Travis, and Zane in the interrogation room, finally able to get the younger Ro'maeve to talk. 

"Well, while Garroth and the rest of family had no idea or were oblivious of any indications of why I left, my mother knew...and it wasn't to work for The Phoenix...." Zane answers, his hands now free of cuffs, and whether he was lying or not, he was willing to speak. 

"Then how did you end up working for them?"

"I was still in contact with my mother even after I ran away...I was...even contemplating whether to return home or not....when the threat came....."

"Threat?" Garroth questions.

"Since father had a high position with the DEA, one of Zack's associates reached out to me and blackmailed me that they would put a hit on Zianna if I didn't come to work for them....and as stupid as it may seem, I thought it better to take up their deal then to cause a big commotion and risk my mother's life in the process...."

"Oh, Zane....."

"Eventually overtime, I thought I could actually fit in.....in a family that accepted me for who I was.....but as it turns out, this one was just as toxic if not more than the last one...." Zane rubs the swollen part of his wrist, his gaze fixated on it as he continued. "They were cruel....god I don't think I've met such bad people....they killed and kidnapped and raped and.....just did horrible things....what was I thinking..."

"You weren't....that's the whole point....this is what Zack does...." Garroth says, inching closer to his little brother, locking his gaze. "And Zane....with your help....we can get him...."

Zane looks around the room, at the group of skilled individuals with a newfound hope that was aflame in his heart. 

"With your help.....we can stop the cruelty...and stop this once and for all...."

Aaron then pulls a polaroid from his pocket, holding it up in Zane's ray of vision. "Do you know her?"

Zane nods with no hesitation, licking his dry lips in habit as he spoke. "That's Aphmau Phoenix......she is as disgusted with the Phoenix's lifestyle as I was...sadly, she was born into this lifestyle so she knows no better one. She loves her family, so very much, but she can differentiate between what they do is right...and what they do is wrong...."

"How will she help us?"

"She has been complaining and begging for her family to change for years....so with the proper leverage, technique, an army behind her, we might be able to change his ways, or if we have to, stop him......I may not know much....but I do know this....get her...she's already on our side..."

Aaron nods, tossing a rolled up map of Phoenix Drop which unfurls upon contact with the table. 

"Which of Zack's properties is she at...."

*

"These quesadillas are delicious, mija..." Zack compliments from the head of the dinner table, the night young and the crickets singing especially loud due to the quietness.

Still feeling sore, Aphmau responds with a small smile, trying to maintain composure and not raise any alarms to--

"What happened to your face?" Zack questions, raising an eyebrow at the swollen welt at her cheekbone, which was still panging with a stinging feeling. 

Aphmau doesn't have to say anything, as Ein has a perfectly good excuse which he uses every time. "Someone left the cabinet door open again and....well, let's just say it showed no mercy."

The table shares shortlived laughter except for Aphmau, who manages to keep on her slight smile.

They're blind....Aphmau thought. They're all blind to the truth...

Then everyone goes silent, an ominous atmosphere making itself present. Zack shoots his gaze Aphmau's way as he shouts something that is masked by the sound of loud gunfire. 

They say if you really want to know the value of a man....go after his family....

Let's see....what Zack Phoenix's value is.....

666-word count...I really am the devil.

Have a nice day my crystals!