Ch 14

" Alarte Ascendare " Nothing. You'd been practicing this charm in the common room for the past hour yet nothing seemed to happen. The charm was meant to rocket the pillow you were pointing your wand at but as loud as you shouted or as quietly you'd whisper, it would not move an inch. You tried a few more times before giving up, siting on the couch. 

"Why can't I just get this charm to work?" You frustratedly whispered flicking your wand. A red light shot out hitting the entrance followed by a yelp. You quickly got up and followed the sound worried you'd hit someone.

"Dear Merlin (Y/N). What're you trying to do? Kill me?" A pale Peter Pettigrew yelled picking up the food he previously held in his hand. 

"I'm so sorry Peter. Let me help you." You said kneeling down to help him pick up the remainder on the floor.

"What're you doing up at this time? You should be asleep." He asked.

"I could ask you the same question." You replied raising an eyebrow at the short boy in front of you.

"Fair enough." Pettigrew shrugged before walking to the boys dormitory. He pause and turned back to you. "Have you seen Padfoot anywhere?"

"Sirius? Not recently. Why?" 

"He said he went to have a walk for fresh air but hasn't returned yet." He answered before retreating back up the stairs. Something about what he said brought an idea to your head. 

If I go for some fresh air I'll come back and will be bound to know how to do the charm properly. You thought before opening the portrait and leaving the Gryffindor tower. 

Aimlessly walking around the school grounds you repeated everything your charms professor had said during the lesson you had learned the charm but you'd tried it all and it still wasn't working. What frustrated you the most was that you were usually a fast learner.

You found yourself walking up stairs before you'd realized you had just entered the Astronomy tower. Cursing yourself for being absent minded you turned on your heel ready to walk out but the sound of sniffled sobs make you halt. You turned back around and followed the sound before spotting a figure in front of you.

No matter how far it was, centimeters or miles, you could always recognize who the long mop of black hair belonged to. Sirius Orion Black. The sound of the sobs stopped and he turned his head in your direction. You quickly turned your back to the wall separating you two.

"Who's there?" He hissed.

You stayed as still as you could contemplating whether you should show yourself. Realizing that if you made a run for it he'd still see you, you turned the corner.

"Uh, hi?" You said putting your hands up in surrender. From the wide distance between you you noticed his shoulders drop in relief.

"Good Godric (Y/N), don't sneak up on me like that." Sirius said grinning. This time his smile didn't quite match his eyes.

"What's wrong Sirius?" You asked concerned.

"What? Why do you think something is wrong?" He defended. You began taking steps towards him studying his, now dark, grey eyes. 

"You look like you've been crying." You answered.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm fine." He insisted avoiding your eyes and sitting down on a cushion. You sat down next to him and studied his face in the night sky, his appearance making your heart drop. His whole face was red, his hair was a mess and his lips were scarred.

"Sirius, please." You silently begged. "We- we're friends now. You can tell me anything you want to." He turned from his fixed gaze to stare into your (E/C) eyes. He seemed to be searching for something in them before he took a deep breath and turned his gaze back to the stars.

"I've never really had a good relationship with my family." Sirius finally said. "Even before I was sorted into Gryffindor my parents never accepted me, especially my mother. Maybe it's my fascination with the muggle world but I've never lived up to the expectation of being their 'perfect pureblood son'" The venom in his voice increased with every word he spoke. 

"This morning they sent me a letter. It said that-" His voice broke as he looked at the carpeted floor.

"Said what?" You edged your voice hoarse.

"That they were kicking me out. For good." You gasped. "I know I've either been staying in Hogwarts or lived with the Potter and I never liked it there, I'm still their son. No matter what I will always be their son." His lips began to quiver and he quickly wiped a single tear that fell down his cheek. You'd noticed his hands were shaking so you did something that you surprised yourself by. You took one of his hands and intertwined it in your own slowly rubbing your thumb on his.

"It's their loss because no matter what you made a better family at Hogwarts than they ever were and ever will be. James, Peter and Remus were always there for you from the start, and now you have Marlene, Lily, Alice, Lucy and me. We're always here for you." You reassured genuinely smiling at him. He looked at your face, this time his smile reaching his eyes.

"Thank you."

"What are friends for?" You grinned.

"Yeah, friends." He said sorrowfully looking back at the stars. You followed his eyes to the star filled sky. You both sat there in comfortable silence, hands still intertwined.

"If you look over there you'll see the Sirius star. Muggles call it the dog star." Black said mapping it out with his fingers on his other hand.

"Ironic." You snorted.

"It's one of the brightest one and is usually the most visible around this time." He added.

"Wow, you must be good at astronomy." You hummed getting an idea. "By any chance are you good at charms too?"

"Depends. Why?"

"I've been practicing Alarte Ascendare for what seems like hours but can't seem to get it right." You shyly answered.

"Oh, that charm is easy." He teased.

"Says the person who though a vacuum cleaner was a type of muggle food." You shot back.

"Muggle contraptions are confusing for us wizarding folks. Stand up, I'll teach you the charm." He ordered. "Alarte Ascendare " Sirius said his wand pointed at the cushion he was previously sat on. It rocketed upwards before falling back down with a quiet thud. This is going to be hard. You thought.

________________________________________

Hey,

How're your days going? Hope you are all good.

Lemme just say the increasing amount of views on this is feeding into the self-esteem i didn't even know I had. Either way, whether my writing is bad or not I'm happy you all decided one day to tap this story and begin reading it. Thank you all for everything. This isn't the end of the story, I just wanted to say you're all amazing and great even if i've never met any of you. 

Thank you and I'll see you in a couple days.

a.m