Ch 18

*flashback*

"You sure you don't need any help sweetie. I could stay." Madame Pomfrey asked emerging from her office.

"Don't worry about me. I'll lock up after I tidy up a few little things." You reassured.

"Don't over-work yourself  too much (Y/N), you're only twelve. You might get wrinkles like me." She chuckled. "Make sure to lock the door twice." She reminded you for the 60th time before dragging herself out the room. Madame Pomfrey worried about your health almost as much as your mother did. Almost.

When you revealed to your parents that you began working at the hospital wing their reactions were polar opposites. Your fathers face brightened up as if he heard you ran for Minister of Magic. Since a close friend of his was a muggle doctor in France he seemed familiar with the field of work. He even joked about you becoming one of the Healers in St Mungo's  Hospital. 

Your mothers face dropped like a lead balloon. Her expression changed from confused to angry, and finally, to fearful. She claimed she had no issue with it but you knew she was lying. Being a witch she knew a lot of injuries that the wizarding world encountered were different from the muggles'. You were sure she experienced them first hand from her days in Hogwarts. She still hid her fear behind a facade but you knew she was proud you found something you enjoyed.

You giggle at the memory as you put the muggle disinfectants away. As you arranged them you heard the door to the Hospital Wing open.

"Madame Pomfrey went out." You yelled getting no response. You gradually walked out of the pantry, wand in your hand, racking your brain for any defensive spell you'd learned so far at your nearly two years at Hogwarts. Turning the corner you saw a boy you instantly recognized as the notorious Sirius Black. You didn't know him that well, other than rare glimpses of him in class or in the Gryffindor common room. You knew that he came from one of the famous pure blood families your mother warned you about and that he was the first Gryffindor in his family. For that you would've respected him if it wasn't for the merciless pranks he pulled with James Potter who had taken an obsession with your best friend Lily Evans.

"What do you want?" You scowled causing him to smirk. 

"I came for medical help. Unless you lads don't do that here anymore." He said in a hoarse voice. You mentally slapped yourself for not noticing the pronounced wound that went from his left cheek down to his collar bone.

"S'rry." You quickly apologized breaking your eye contact. "Sit on whichever bed you'd like. I'll got get the supplies." You squeaked, doubting he heard you, before rushing back into the supply closet. 

Gathering the disinfectants you had put away you began to walk out of the closet before something caught your eye. It was a mirror that hung on the wall giving a clear view of the bed Sirius was on. He sat on the bed, cross-legged, eyeing it's surrounding. He slowly got up and walked over to the curtain beside him, playing with it. A part of the lining popped off causing his eyes to widen. You watched as he scrambled to fix it before hopping back onto the bed. The amusing sight made you snort before making your way to him.

You unloaded the bottles from your arm and opened up a book Madame Pomfrey gave you full of easy healing spells. 

"So you're Evans' friends aren't you?" Sirius asked clearing the air.

"Yeah. The one and only (Y/N) (L/N)." You said flipping through the book.

"I know." He shrugged nonchalantly.

 "And you're Potter's sidekick?" You teased.

"I'm not Prong's sidekick." He said through gritted teeth causing you to guffaw. "But I am Potter's friend the great Sirius Black." You laughed a bit more finally finding the page you were looking for. You soaked a ball of cotton in disinfectant before turning to face Sirius. His bright grey eyes nearly glowed as he followed the movement of your arm.

"You, uh, you may have to take of your jacket for this." You pointed at his black jacket. With an 'oh' he carefully took it off. Studying his cut like wound you thanked Merlin it was right above his shirt so you didn't have to face the awkwardness of asking him to remove that too.

"What caused this anyway? It looks rather fresh." You asked putting the cotton ball at his collar bone causing him to flinch but not answer your question. "Was it an animal from one of the Marauders rendezvous to the forbidden forest?" Still no answer. "What about a girl? Did you refuse to go to Hogsmeade with Lea Harriet for valentines? Or was it Ava Thompson?" Sirius snorted.

"Glad to know you think so highly of me." He muttered. You stopped, looking into his grey eyes searching for an answer. Getting nothing you returned back to the upward movement of the cotton ball.

"I don't think I'll ever understand you Black, will I?" You confessed.

"That's what makes me so intriguing. 'Least I think that's the word Moony used." He said causing you to erupt in giggles him following close after. "People don't actually call me James' sidekick, right?" You laughed.

Talking to Sirius Black was a short lived experience but one thing was for sure. No matter how long you sat together in those couple minutes silence never filled the air.

*end*
________________________________

Hi,

Guess what, I made new friends and their names are Procrastination and Writers Block. Yeah, they are not leaving anytime soon by the looks of it.

a.m