4

Christmas Day
Still TJ's POV:

I woke up kinda late, Amber and I stayed up watching movies last night. The sun that crept in through the blinds hit me directly in the face. I rub my eyes and looked over at my clock and saw that it was 12:28.

Crap.

I was supposed to be at Cyrus's house at 12. I jumped out bed and shot him a text explaining that I was late cause I overslept. I wanted to try to get to Cyrus's around 1 at least, so I quickly brushed my hair and threw on a pair of jeans.
I walked down the hall to Amber's room and knocked on her door. No response, she must've left already.
I arrived at Cyrus's house around 1, I heard his footsteps as he approached the door.
"Hey Tj!" He opens the door wide letting me in but quickly shuts it so the cold air wouldn't come in. "Underdog!" I respond. My shoes were dripping wet with snow and he could tell I felt bad about walking into his house like that. "Don't worry about it, my mom should be home soon so the floor was gonna get wet one way or another" he shrugged. I took off my jacket and hung it where all the other jackets were, along with leaving my shoes with the others. I turn to face Cyrus staring at me. "What?"
"..KippenSibling?" He asks. I just looked at him confused for a moment, then immediately remember I was wearing the hoodie Amber had given me last night. "Oh! Uhm right, yeah Amber gave it to me as a gift yesterday." I tell him. "And I kinda fell asleep in it, and I kinda forgot I was wearing it."
"That's sweet, I wish I had a sibling" he says "come on, my room is upstairs" his house was simple. It had neutral colors all around with a couple accents of bright colors. But mostly neutral.
His room was somewhat similar. But it mostly had different shades of blue. Everything was organized, except some papers on his table. I got closer to it to see what he was doing but he quickly snatched whatever was on the table and put it away. "Uh, sorry it was just some.. personal stuff" he scratched the back of his head. "Oh, sorry" I apologize, I didn't want to seem like I was being nosy. "So how was your Christmas Eve?" He plopped himself on his bed, laying down as I sat at his computer chair.
"It's was alright, my parents weren't home but I had Amber to keep me company. We made cookies, dinner too. And then we had a movie marathon." I explain to him. He smiled. "Your parents' absence didn't seem to bother you."
I shrugged "I mean I guess I just stopped caring" I look around his room, I see a basket of notebooks on a bookshelf. "I would've been pissed if any of my parents did that" his use of the word 'any' reminds me that he has multiple parents. "Hey Cy, how many parents do you have..?" I trail off at the end wondering if that was a bad question to ask.
"4, a mom and a dad, a stepmom and a stepdad" he seems unbothered by the question so I guess it was alright. "What's that like?" I barely see my 2 parents, I can't even imagine having 4.
"It's okay, it was really weird at first but I got used to it. I live here with my mom and stepdad but occasionally I'd go see my dad and stepmom. Nothing against them but I'm just closer to school and everything here."
We made small talk for a while till my stomach growled abnormally loud. Cyrus pauses mid sentence and asked me if I had eaten 'breakfast'. "Uh, well you see I kinda forgot to." I said avoiding eye contact. "TJ!" He quickly got up from the bed and dragged me to the kitchen.

Truth was, I chose to skip breakfast. I was too excited to see Cyrus. Well to get spend Christmas with a friend really. I thought about making cereal before leaving but I said nah and left.

"What do you want" he asks as he opens his fridge and cupboards frantically. "Can't believe you haven't eaten yet, it's almost 2" he mumbles.
"Can we actually go to the spoon?" I ask him. "It's Christmas, I doubt they're open" to which I respond with pulling out my phone and texting Amber asking if they are. "She said yes" I tell him. "That's weird, well the spoon it is I guess"
It had stopped snowing outside and there was just a thin blanket of snow outside. It was beautiful really.
The spoon was empty except for an elderly couple in the corner, not surprised. Cyrus and I slid into a booth as a waitress came over to hand us menus.

We were there for almost 2 hours. We had nothing better to do, no rush, we even split an ice cream sundae. Which was a mistake considering it was cold outside so it only made it even colder for us.
"When it gets dark, there's this whole Christmas light thing up at West hills. Wanna go?" I finally ask. "Sure why not" he picks up his phone to check the time. "It's almost 4, sun goes down at 5, I need to be home at 8. Wanna go now?"
I nodded my head at him and soon we finally left the spoon. Cyrus insisted on splitting the bill even though I had offered to pay everything.
We walked slowly, shivering in the cold. Maybe the sundae wasn't such a good idea but it seemed so at the time.
We got there about a quarter to 5, so we were able to watch the sunset. I loved everything about today. Slept in, eating out, seeing the sun set, about to go see Christmas lights, being with Cyrus.

I wasn't mad at Christmas this year. I actually enjoyed it. And it seemed like Cyrus did too, maybe he wasn't too bad after all.