5

2019
TJ's POV:
It's the night before January 2nd. Everyone goes back to school tomorrow. Cyrus and I hadn't seen each other since Christmas but we've been texting each other a lot. And I actually kinda miss him. I was tossing and turning in bed- I couldn't sleep. The week and a half long break from school messed up my sleeping schedule so sleeping 4 hours before I did for the past 10 or so nights wasn't easy.
Cyrus kept running through my mind. He and I had gotten so close so fast ever since he started tutoring me. It made my heart ache. As much as I didn't want it to happen I think I actually like him. I can't like him. Not after what happened with Mason.
I got up from bed and headed to the bathroom, the silence throughout the entire house caused every single step of mine to echo in the halls. The bright light in the bathroom stung my eyes when I turned it on. I rubbed them and proceeded to wash my face. I needed to get some sleep.
I headed back to bed and stayed there staring at the ceiling. I look over to my digital clock on my nightstand.

I wasn't sure what time it was, but I knew it was late.

Cyrus being the only thing on my mind bothered me. I can't like him. I can't.
I grabbed my phone and played some music in hopes of it calming me down.

I don't even remember falling asleep. Next thing I knew the sun was entering my room through the blinds and my alarm clock was being annoyingly loud. I slammed the off button and saw it was 8. I needed to be at school at 8:30.
I quickly got up and changed clothes. Actually making sure I changed my sweatshirt this time, and threw on a pair of shoes then quickly ran out the door. A couple blocks down and I remember that I didn't do my hair. I run my finger through it but give up knowing it's not gonna help so I just put on my hood.
I barely got to school on time. As I approached my locker I saw Cyrus standing there, the last person I wanted to this morning.
"Good morning Tj" he says all happily. I mumble back a 'Mornin'. "You okay? You look rough" I really did. I had bags under my eyes and I don't usually have my hood on. "Yeah, I had a rough night and woke up late" I explain as I put some books in my locker and take some out. When I shut it I see Cyrus holding out a muffin. "I take it that you didn't it breakfast?" "Uh, no I didn't" he extends his arm further to me. I take the muffin "Thanks" I say as I take a big bite. I had forgotten to get breakfast, and now that he reminded me I felt extremely hungry. Cyrus and I just stood in the hallway as I devoured the muffin when the bell rang. "See you at lunch Tj" Cyrus walks off in the direction of his first period.

The day went slow, I was in my last class before lunch and I was just staring at the clock watching the minutes slowly go by. After lunch I had 2 more classes, math with Cyrus and English by myself. I almost fell asleep when the bell rung- scaring me awake. I quickly grabbed my belongings and headed to lunch.
I started sitting with Cyrus and his group at lunch after he and I started talking. It was Andi, Buffy, and Jonah. Before that I would stay in the library to do school work but now I had Cyrus to help, so I didn't need to go to the library as much.
"Hey underdog, hey guys" I say as I approach the table. They respond with hi's and hello's.
We talked for a bit, I didn't really say much- I kept my head down cause of how tired I am.
"You okay Tj?" Buffy asks me. "Yeah just tired- rough night" I briefly explain again. "Why what happened?" She asks. "I- uh" I couldn't tell them that I was thinking about Cyrus. Not a chance. "I just, I messed up my sleep schedule" I quickly thought of an excuse. Although it wasn't really a lie. "Try to get some more sleep tonight okay?" Cyrus told me, placing his hand on my shoulder. I nodded in response as I yawned.
I nearly fell asleep at lunch too, which is probably what I should've done since I got there.
Today was just a slow day. Everyone was tired, not in the best mood. Including the teachers, in one of classes my teacher put on a movie cause she didn't feel like teaching.
I was always quiet in math, I never raised my hand, I always worked alone. Mr. Coleman knew me, so he never bothered me.
I tried avoiding Cyrus as much as possible today. He could tell I wasn't acting like myself but I felt bad not being able to tell him why. I knew he didn't believe the 'I didn't get enough sleep' excuse. After class he approached me asking what was wrong.
"I just got stuff on my mind- don't worry about it" I assure him. "Tj you know you can tell me anything" his voice full of concern. "Cy" I look at him in the eyes "I'm okay, trust me" He takes a brief pause "okay" he responds. I smile "Thanks though" Cyrus nods.