Chapter Six (Jamie POV)

"Hello Jamie." I recognize that voice, Emerald's father Mr.Annigan otherwise known as the CEO of A&G Incorporated. He's sitting at the dining room table with both of my parents and Emerald.

I don't even have to look over there to know this. I keep walking towards the stairway.

"Sweetie can you come eat with us, we have company." My mother practically pleads with me.

"No."

In my room I throw my book bag onto my bed. This is the first time they've actually waited for me, usually they just reschedule. They're persistent I'll give them that.

A knock at my door grabs my attention. I answer it and my father almost surprises me again.

"Come down stairs, we waited two hours for you." Telling me the time isn't going to make me care. I try to close the door but he places his foot in the way. He's too old for this.

His fist collides with my stomach and I stumble back in pain. He's really too old for this. I'm about to tell him when he slams the door loud enough for everyone downstairs to hear. Good luck explaining that to your guests. He'll probably be able to get away with saying I'm not feeling well but that's only because Mr.Annigan is desperate enough to believe anything.

I double over and stumble over to my mirror. Raising my shirt I see a new bruise forming over the old one. He always makes sure to hit me somewhere no one will be able to see.

It's my second time being attacked this evening. First by that crazy girl and now by my father. I still don't regret avoiding my schedule. I'd rather be beaten than have to sit through a dinner discussing my arranged marriage plans with Emerald. My dad is going to have to beat me everyday because I'm not marrying someone just to increase stocks, even if it's for the benefit of my future. Just thinking about it disgusts me.

I send Noah a quick text: He's having a business dinner right now Jule said she's making tacos tomorrow so come over then.

He replies immediately: :( who's he meeting with?

I don't want to tell him it's the Annigan's. He hates them almost as much as I do. Instead I turn off my phone. If I were to answer this question he'd just ask me another, and then another and I don't feel like talking to anyone right now.

I raise my shirt over my head and throw it aside. Right now I desperately want to fall asleep. Dreaming is the only way I can escape my thoughts. It's either that or they'll become even more real as I sleep, and engulf me.

I'm half asleep when Robin appears. He sits on my bed with a sad look.

"Is it bad that I pity my own mother." He asks placing a warm hand on my sore abdomen.

"No, no it's not."

**6 years ago**

"1...

2...

3! Ready or not here I come!" I hear Leo scream.

Too bad I haven't found a hiding spot yet. The nearest room is my dad's and he'll kill me if he finds me in there.

Leo's little feet begin running up the stairs.

Oh well, I'll be out before he knows it.

I burst through the door and close it as slowly and as silently as possible. Leo's footsteps are getting closer. Where to go, where to go, the closet! It's a short run and before I know it I'm peeking through it's shutters expecting Leo to come in at any minute. He doesn't. Instead my father does and he's with a woman. Not just any woman Mrs. Caspian, Mark's mom.