I'm Sorry For Kicking You In The Face

Scarlet and I stared at most ridiculous thing that HYDRA could've made a weapon and I slowly felt Scarlet struggling to bite back a laugh as we continued to stare at the destructive object.

     A necklace. The stupid weapon was a freaking necklace. My jaw ticked and Scarlet snorted into her hand. I shot her a look and she covered it up as a cough.

     "Well, on the bright side, at least they had style." she suggested, turning over the engraved details of the golden locket. In the middle of the heart shaped necklace, there was a green gem that seemed to glow softly. Or maybe it was the moonlight.

     I tried to open the necklace but it wouldn't budge. "Great. Not only is the weapon that can destroy the world a dumb necklace, but now it won't even open."

     "Maybe the dangerous stuff is in the locket." Scarlet shrugged.

     I knit my brows and frowned. "Like a bomb?"

     "No, something else. It feels... powerful." she muttered as she handed it over to me.

     I shook my head and shouldered my backpack. "This is a waste time. I need to get going."

     Scarlet nodded and gestured to the locket. "Put it on, it matches your eye color." she smirked.

     I smiled thankfully. "Thanks, Scary." I lifted the window and climbed out with ease. "And I will."

     "Be careful with those bad guys! I still need someone to help me pull unauthorized pranks!" Scarlet called out as I ran out of her yard. I shot her a smirk over my shoulder and rode off on my skateboard.

     I had a plane to catch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

     The rain had gotten harder by the time I reached the airport and was pouring like there was no tomorrow. Definitely not a good omen. I thought distastefully as I paid the taxi driver that somehow was unperturbed that a 16 year old was going to the airport by herself.

     I quickly clambered out of the car and ran inside, following the different arrows and signs until I reached my boarding gate. As I looked around, I noticed that I was the only noticeable minor in the vicinity and felt my stomach drop. There was no way the airport employees would let me hitch a ride to another state by myself.

     Just walk past them and deny anything they say. A voice suggested in the back of my head. I snorted out loud. What would I say if they asked where my parents were? Like, hi! Yeah, I'm an underage passenger that trying to illegally fly to another state to try and find the only guy that I trust and know.

      I bit my lip and my heart hammered in my chest. I had come up with something fast. I quickly slipped the locket around my neck and felt a burst of energy erupt inside me. My breath hitched and I stumbled backwards. I suddenly felt more alert and...alive. Like I could do anything I wanted. I stared down at the necklace in awe. Did it have some sort of powers that the files didn't mention?

     "Ma'am?" A voice snapped me back to reality. My head snapped up to see the impatient woman waiting for me to step through the detectors.

     "Oh! Sorry." I mumbled as I quickly walked through, praying she wouldn't hold me back. Unfortunately, God must've had other plans because the metal detector went off and I was quickly pulled to the side.

     The same impatient lady began to pat me down forcefully, eager to find something on me. As she pat down my legs, I began to inwardly panic. The knife. I completely forgot that I had hidden it in the sole of my shoe. If she found it, I might as be in juvie forever. I looked around for anything to help distract her but she had reached my shoelaces.

     I did the only thing I could think of in the spur of the moment. I kicked her. The lady recoiled in shock as my foot connected with her jaw and she fell backwards. I slipped on a mask of fake shock as well and began to apologize profusely.

     "Oh, I am so sorry! I'm just so clumsy! I do hope I haven't inflicted anything serious." I lied smoothly through my fake British accent. She rubbed her jaw sorely and grit her teeth at my fake cheery attitude.

     The woman growled and thrust my backpack into my arms. "You better get out of my face before I call airport security on you."

       I smiled sweetly before practically sprinting towards the gate and the ticket check. That went without incident, thankfully, and soon I was boarding a plane to D.C. I sat in my seat in the far back, right by a window and watched as the plane filled up with more passengers.

     Dread slowly trickled in and anxiety climbed up my spine. What was I doing? I was going to fly to a state I've never been to in my life to learn more about a man that probably didn't even remember me. Not to mention the sneaking out, illegally obtaining a plane ticket, and kicking an airport employee in the face.

     I felt my face pale and I nervously toyed with the locket around my neck. If Gran knew I even did one of those things, I would be good as dead. As soon as I thought about her, my temper flared. This was partly her fault. If she hadn't kept it a secret and lied to me about my entire life, I wouldn't be running off to one of biggest states in the country to learn about the only person that knew what I had gone through and the pain I had to endure.

     I pulled out the tiny iPod I nicked off Scarlet's nightstand and plugged in my headphones. I stared out the window and looked over Queens' horizon one last time because life was about to get even more complicated than it already was.