Chapter 5: Charlotte's friends

I woke up in the morning and stretched as always. Then I remembered: I'm not supposed to stretch like a cat. I'd  look like  a weird. I really hoped  my cousin  hadn't  seen me  but her eyes were  still closed.. Charlotte woke up later and  she found  me stretching  like a  normal  person.

"Today's not Monday, right?"I asked.  The sunlight usually woke me up and I automatically  knew what day it was. But now I had slept in a bedroom with  big beds and  fluffy pillows. Definitely  not  my style.

"Yes  it's Sunday. Why?" Charlotte  asked.

"It's  probably  night back in Zambia.  Plus I don't want to go to school." I added.

"You're going to have to." She said.

"Ugh." I stood up and  shuddered.  I remembered  how school  was  like.  There's  the rich kids then the bullies then the weak  ones then the smart ones like my cousin....then there's  the weirdos and the  normal  kids.

"School is fun. You'll see."

I frowned.  "Yeah  coming from the  nerd." I muttered.

At least she didn't  see me stretch. That was the  main  aim of talking to her  anyway.  It was hard to  look like a  human.  I was used to  always having  my sharp long incisors out along with my claws. Now I had to  hide everything meaning  I had to  eat like a  human,  sleep  like a  human,  walk like a  human....everything  like  a human.

After breakfast, I stood outside. I couldn't run  in any forest or use bow n arrows. I wonder if the animals missed me. I knew Helaki missed me. I walked back upstairs to find Charlotte working on homework.

"Will your friends freak out the way I'm wearing?" I asked.  I was trying my  best not to  scare anyone even  though  I shouldn't  really  care.

" No. Not really." Charlotte  said  as she took one glance  at me then  continued to  look at her homework. Apparently  she wanted me to  meet her friends. I  didn't  need friends  anyway.

Even though I wore a tank top and jeans, my clothes had so many African decorations till people at the airport looked at me weirdly. But I loved the way I was wearing. I wasn't  even  wearing  animal skin.

"Don't worry. After my friend's house we can go to the mall." Charlotte  added. I sighed.  Maybe  if I played along my parents  might feel  sorry  and  buy another  ticket for  me to  head back. Who knows?

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<
Charlotte rang the doorbell and some girl shouted, "It's open." She opened the door and we entered the house. It was beautiful and large, larger than Charlotte's house. Then a girl who had long dirty blonde hair with blue eyes came up to me. She looked 12 years old.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my house?" She asked. I smiled  in amusement.  I already  liked  this kid.

I looked at Charlotte who was smiling nervously. "Well, my name is Roxy and I'm Charlotte's cousin." She then circled me and asked happily,

"Are you some type of warrior?"

"You can say that."

"I need a person who can fight." She said  seriously as if she was interviewing  me.

"To do what?" I asked, almost  snorting  because of the  guts of this kid.

"To beat up my brother Henry. He's a jerk." I laughed.

I saw Charlotte shake her hand and say, "I'm going to call Henry from his room." She  climbed the stairs and disappeared.

"I don't think you should do that." I told her. It would  be fun to  beat up people for no reason but my aunt had told  me I had to  be nice. I internally  gagged.