Chapter 35: The Blue eyes of the Dark

Henry's POV
I woke up almost thinking I was in bed then I realized i was lost. Hungry. In a underground cave. With  the most beautiful girl in the world. And I was sleeping in her lap. Her kind gesture shocked me. I wished I could see her now while she slept. But it was totally dark. I sat up and she moved, meaning she was awake." Sorry I woke you up."

"It's okay." She said as she stood up and stretched. Man now I really wished I could see her." I guess we have to continue." She said in a sad tone. And that's when I decided to cheer her up.

"Its day two in our underground cave expedition and I the famous adventurer Henry Hart and the zoologist Roxella Summers have found the amazing species of cave rocks." I said in my adventurer voice.

"Cave rocks?" She asked in an amused tone.

"Of course miss zoologist. Let's find a sample." I said as I tried to look for a rock.

"Miss zoologist?" She said in a slight sadder tone. I walked towards her voice. I think I almost tumbled into her because she grabbed my hand.

"Something wrong?"

"Oh......not really. My dad is a zoologist." She said sadly. She never talked about her parents. I always thought she didn't care, because she said they ' shipped' her here. I guess she did care. I didn't know what to tell her so I said,

"That's cool." I didn't want to push on so I said," Let's continue." We walked on without saying a word. I tried to push my hunger out of my thoughts. We continued to walk in the darkness till she stopped." What?"

"We're not alone." She said as she got into a fight position. I wished I could say it was Ray but he could have called for us.

I felt fear seeping through me." What does that mean?"

"I'm not sure if it's human or  animal." She said, making matters worse. I looked around to find deep blue glowing eyes behind me."Roxy, we need to run." I said as I started to run but she pulled me back because I couldn't see where I was going. She took my hand again and led me through the dark as we ran ,light appearing ahead. It was very dull and when we arrived, we found a broken bridge with water underneath. I couldn't believe all of this was down here.

"We can't use the bridge. It's weak. We'll fall." She said as she looked below. There was a hole above with a few pieces of wood that was providing light from above so I could finally see her. The blue eyes came out of the dark and they belonged to a tiger-ish man because he was walking on two feet. His face was covered in black and white fur, with a tiger nose but a human mouth but with fangs. He was shirtless but had rugged trousers and no shoes because his feet had become tiger like. He was about to hit me but Roxy blocked it quickly." Find another place for us to get to the other side."

I nodded and she started to fight with the other shapeshifter. I looked around. The only thing was the bridge and below was a rapid river flowing with huge turbulence. I ran off and helped by kicking the guy's back." We're going to have to jump." I shouted.

"Into water?" She shouted back as she scratched the guy with claws tearing his skin a bit.

"Yeah, you scared?" I asked as my elbow hit the tiger's back and it punched me and threw me, my back landing on the wall. I groaned. Roxy ran over to me to help  me stand up and we ran over the cliff and  jumped. I rose to the surface quickly when I realized it wasn't deep but I couldn't swim against it. I searched for her as I tried my best to not move with the water that was freezing me to the bone. " Roxy!" I  screamed as the water started to carry me. It was fast, carrying me along with the current.

Her head appeared way in front of me as she tried to stop herself from moving. " Come over here!" She shouted as the water hit her almost sweeping her away. I let the water carry me to her and when I reached her she grabbed my arm and we started to swim to shore. It took both of our efforts but mostly hers to get us out of the river. Once we reached dry land, I laid down on the ground and she did the same thing. I removed my mask, there was no use of hiding my identity while we were stuck in here. Water had entered my wounds like the one on my arm that had barely healed. Roxy laid beside me and hissed and when I looked to her side, she was bleeding from a huge gash on her stomach. Her other wounds had healed but I knew this wasn't going to any time soon.

"Roxy......"

"I'm okay. Please don't worry about me." She said as she looked at the origin of the little light around us. Sometimes I got so annoyed that she usually placed the responsibility on her. Or that she didn't want anyone to worry about her. She wasn't invincible. I wished she could understand that.

"Then what am I supposed to do?" I asked quite angrily." I can't even think about food." I knew I sounded sour but she couldn't just keep on doing that.

"How about think of a way of getting out of here?" She said sarcastically as she sat up.

"Hmm ...... I've already thought of that and no idea came to my mind." I hadn't lost hope just yet but I wished she was being nicer.

"We will get out of here. " She said as she walked to the water , removed her mask and cupped some to drink.

"How sure are you?" I asked as I also realized I was thirsty and did the same.

"The tiger spirits won't let us die here." She said in an unwavering voice." They won't." The only things I knew about these tiger spirits is that the Ziabali worshipped them and they gave Roxy her power. I hoped she was right. After relaxing for like hours we continued to walk then we started to talk finally. Laughing about the past times, not thinking about now or tomorrow. It became dark again but I didn't mind. As long as I was holding her hand.

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<
Roxy's POV
It was day four. I knew it was. I could feel it. We had no phones that worked to even try calling Ray or anyone else because we jumped into the water with them. I was always alert for the blue eyes of the dark. I started to guess how the man came to be because I didn't feel the tiger spirits with him.

I was scared for me and of me. The tiger me could last longer than the girl me. And the girl me was desperately hungry. I could feel my humanity trying to slip away but I kept on grabbing on to it like a rope that was hung up on the ceiling. If I  fully transformed into a tiger, it would be minutes before I lose my humanity. Right now I felt stupid that I never trained to control that back in Ziabali after the incident that I didn't want to remember.

I promised Henry we would get out of here but I was losing hope quickly. Henry was completely weak. I could feel it from just holding his hand even though he didn't want to admit it. We stop after thirty minutes or so for him to rest and it was really hard for him to stand again. He looked pale, which was scaring me and I didn't know how long both of us would last. I didn't want to think about death, it was the last thing I wanted to do.

"Roxy, I feel......" He said quietly before  collapsing on the ground.

"Henry?" I said as I tried to feel his forehead for any fever or anything.

"We're gonna die, right?" He croaked.

"Don't say that." I could feel tears coming to my eyes but I pushed them back. I had to be strong for both of us. No one was going to die.

" Okay then I'll die and you will shapeshift into a tiger and find a way out of here." He croaked. I took both of his hands and squeezed a little.

"No one is going to die." I said as a tear fell down my face. I didn't even bother to rub it off. He started to breathe loudly then he abruptly stopped. " Henry." I called him. He didn't answer." Henry you can't die." I said as hot tears started to trickle down my face. I quickly checked his pulse. He was alive but it was becoming slower and slower. He was going to die. It was going to be my fault. I should have pushed him farther away from the boulder. I should have done....... something.

" Man, this is just too sad. The tiger virago on her knees crying for her friend. You have definitely gotten soft from when you arrived." I stood up quickly to face my enemy. I didn't have the energy to fight her, with her long grey poisonous tail and her fangs filled with venom waiting.

"Bianca, please not now." I begged. I had never begged but I would do it for Henry.

" It's the serpent but oh well." She said with pride.

" How about you help me with Henry and then we can take this fight on the surface right now."

" Hmm......let me think..... No!" She said as she launched at me while laughing. This was it, my demise. I thought it would be because I did something important, something that history will always remember but not because the serpent killed me.

I've decided for Bianca aka the serpent to look like an echidna. I will show some pictures of her in the next chapter and also tigers with green eyes to represent Roxy.