Chapter 49: The Duel

Henry's neighbourhood was a mess. Cars were being burnt and a few people were roaming the streets with our pictures on a poster. The place looked deserted and I wondered where people were. Henry and I walked in the shadows and the glumness of the weather wasn't helping. The sun had disappeared and we were now left with cold windy chills. Someone would have thought it was going to snow soon.

Our house wasn't far from Henry's so it didn't take more than twenty minutes to get there due to the hiding. Someone had torn down our mailbox and cracked a window. We decided to enter through Charlotte and I's bedroom. I jumped quickly and sunk my claws in the tree as I climbed up in seconds to our window.

"A little help?" Henry asked and I rolled my eyes as I crawled down and grabbed him up and threw him to the huge branch that was on the window. He screamed, leading me to laugh. His laugh echoed in the empty streets and I paused to see if anyone was coming our way. Once I reached Henry he whispered- shouted to me," Are you crazy?"

"Maybe." I said as I retracted the claws on my feet, checking to see my boots were okay. " You asked for help." I said as I slowly crawled to him as he sat on the branch, holding onto it. I leaned over and whispered in his ear," I thought you liked my crazy."I leaped to the window to find it locked and with a zap on my watch, I was able to open the window quietly. Once I got inside I found Henry still staring at me and I motioned him to come over.

It wasn't long before I felt his presence beside me. I quickly let all my senses free as I searched for them. They were in the house. "They are here?" Henry asked me and I nodded. We quietly walked down the stairs so as to not attract attention to ourselves. I did not want my mother to fight me. We reached the living room and we heard a gunshot. Henry quickly caught it and threw the bullet to the floor.

When my mother saw who it was, she ran and hugged me. "You're okay! Everyone in this damn city is looking for you."

"Yeah mom." I said as I stepped away. My mother now saw Henry as she saw him as Kid Danger. She gasped and went to shake his hand.

"It's an honour to actually meet you." She said.

"It's my pleasure." Henry said in a voice that wasn't his and I tried not to laugh.

"How come you weren't affected?" I asked and I heard growling in the kitchen. Henry and I walked over to find my aunt tied up with large ropes to the dining room table.

"I don't know, maybe it's because I have a power." My mom said.

"You have powers?" Henry asked in his normal voice but I glared at him and he repeated the question with his fake voice.

"Yes. I have the ability to speak to animals." My mother said... proudly. I glanced at her for a second and she smiled. She was accepting herself here. I went down to my aunt and reversed the chant on her. My aunt opened her eyes and I carried her to the couch.

"We need to leave." I told my mother and she nodded.

"Greet Henry for me." She said cheerfully and I froze in place. My mother smiled at the reaction she caught me in and continued," What? You didn't tell me about him but I figured some things out. And I will continue to figure out other things until you tell me about him."

"M .... Mom shut up!" I said as I took Henry's arm and dragged him back up the stairs. She was going to embarrass me even if she knew nothing. I was freaking out while Henry on the other hand seemed to enjoy my embarrassment.

"So this Henry guy ...what does she say about him?" Henry asked and that's when I pulled him now up the stairs.

"No, this is not happening. Don't make me carry you up the stairs!" I threatened him and he walked.