【Short Story】《Crossover》#2

Ancestry DNA

For years, Riley had been asked by friends and strangers: "What are you?" Sometimes they tried to guess. "Are you half black/Ethiopian/Indian?" "Middle Eastern? Filipino? Brazilian? North African?"

Ethnically, he knew he was a mix of things. His grandmother was white. His dad had light brown skin. His mom... because of his dad's protection, he didn't find out she was Indian until he was a preteen. So technically he was half Indian. But the rest? He didn't know. And to be honest, he wasn't dying to know either. His answer to everyone was just, "Mixed. Part Indian." On forms, he marked just what he knew: White and South Asian.

As of the past year, DNA advertisements were everywhere and one day Riley decided, why not? His results might even be interesting to his dad who didn't know who his father was. Though he'd gone over 40 years without taking a test himself, he might be interested to know. At the least, Riley would be able to more accurately answer the people who asked and the census.

"You should do it too," Riley told his husband as he browsed different DNA companies online.

Eran gave a disinterested frown. "I already know what I am. Scottish and German."

"People often find something interesting that they didn't know. It won't hurt."

Eran agreed just because he didn't care enough if Riley wanted to waste money. So they ordered kits, spit into some tubes, then sent it back. Jay got wind and decided to take his own. Elias hopped on the bandwagon. When Liam heard about it, he joined as well. Alex said it wouldn't be too interesting because he knew he was just Venezuelan but when Liam told him the kit was on sale 2 for 1, he went along.

They decided to have a big ancestry reveal party which Eran and Elias thought was pretty unnecessary. Riley figured it'd be fun and Alex was there for anyone's possible family drama.

Weeks later, they all received their results. They headed to Riley and Eran's apartment where Riley had cast his laptop on the TV.

"Okay," he started, "so, before we begin, everyone knows your parents only give you 50% their DNA? So your parents might have something but not all or maybe any of it gets passed to you. Just because you don't see something in your DNA doesn't mean your parents lied."

"But," Alex said conspiratorially, "if you see something that your family never mentioned, that's news. So, who first?"

"How about the people who are positive of the results they'll get," Jay suggested.

"That'd be Eran," Riley said, gesturing to his husband.

"I'm Scottish and German," Eran announced for what seemed like the fifteenth time since Riley proposed his idea.

Alex raised his free hand. The other was holding a beer. He would have preferred wine for this type of event, but apparently, Eran didn't drink it so Jay brought beer instead. "I'm 100% Mestizo Venezuelan so I predict Native American and Spanish with a touch of African because, you know, slavery."

"Okay," Riley said, "so we'll do Eran then Alex?" Everyone agreed. Riley put in Eran's info then revealed the results.

Jay snorted. "Whiiiiite."

Ireland & Scotland 49%

> Scottish Highlands and Nova Scotia

Germanic Europe 23%

> Northern Germany

Norwegian 16%