only friend

I'M LONELY
LUZ

Why don't we talk?
Oh, I'm lonely, I'm lonely
Oh, please can you hold me?

"Good morning, and welcome to the EatJin Café, how may I help you?" Jeongguk greets the new customers that enter the cafe. Before they can tell him their orders, he yawns uncontrollably. His hectic sleeping habits were bad for him before, but now, with the added distraction of talking to Haneul, who is always leaving for work or getting home from work conveniently around the time Jeongguk has his nightmare, he's even more exhausted during the day.

But Jeongguk wouldn't give up those conversations with Haneul had he a choice between an extra half hour of sleep and talking to her. She's smart, she's funny, and most of all, she's kind. She never judges him when he asks her stupid questions or speaks in the elaborate way that he does. In fact, she's told him she finds the fact that he does attractive, and that's all he can hope for. She's not Jimin, and as guilty as Jeongguk feels to admit it, he's okay with that.

It's been a month since they began talking, and they text every day. He knows he's lucky Haneul is outgoing, because he starts out timid in their conversations, the consistent nerves he feels speaking to her plaguing him at the beginning, but she loosens him up and brings out something in him that he hasn't seen in himself in a long time.

"Pardon me, what can I get for you?" Jeongguk asks the three men standing at the counter.

"We're actually just here to see someone, is the owner around?" The tallest man, wearing a beanie and sunglasses, informs Jeongguk.

"Sir?" Jeongguk calls and starts to retreat to the back to retrieve Seokjin, but at that precise moment, Seokjin comes racing around the corner, nearly knocking Jeongguk into the shelves of coffee mugs. Seokjin is someone with a naturally happy demeanor, but Jeongguk has never seen his boss this happy.

"Joonie!" Seokjin practically squeals, leaning across the counter to press a peck to the tallest man's lips. Jeongguk connects the dots at this. So this is Seokjin's infamous soulmate, the man who owns the bookstore across the street. Namjoon seemed cool and suave initially, but he blushes at Seokjin's extremely public display of affection. Nevertheless, he gently squeezes Seokjin's shoulders. Jeongguk smiles to himself witnessing it. Ah, young love. The first few decades after Jimin passed, Jeongguk was bitter, hardly able to look at young couples enjoying themselves without wallowing in self pity. But, it wore off, and now, Jeongguk appreciates it because he sees himself and Jimin in their love. In fact, he even reads those cheesy romance novels middle aged moms read.

"Wow, hello, Seokjin hyung. Fantastic to see you, too. I'm great, thanks for asking." The shortest man with minty colored hair says sourly. Seokjin shoots the man a sharp look and kisses Namjoon's cheek solely to irritate the mint haired man. This proves to be fruitful, for the man scowls and sends Seokjin a gesture with a particular finger.

"Don't get butthurt, Yoongle. They're in love." The red haired man next to him says, slinging his arm around his shoulder. Yoongle, Jeongguk thinks to himself, that's an interesting name. The mint haired man, Yoongle, clenches his jaw.

"10...9...8..." Yoongle suddenly begins to count down calmly, but from how fast Hoseok retracts his arm, Jeongguk can tell that whatever happens when Yoongle reaches 0 is not good.

"We were just stopping by to doublecheck that we're still on for clubbing tonight." Namjoon ignores the other men's antics as he informs Seokjin. Seokjin grins, a knowing smile, and he practically has heart eyes. Jeongguk finds it adorable.

"I wouldn't miss it, but you could have just texted me to check." Seokjin reminds him, and the peachy flush returns to Namjoon's cheeks.

"Yeah, but seeing you in person is better." Namjoon mumbles shyly. Seokjin's eyes crinkle as he strokes Namjoon's cheek, a fond smile consuming his face.