wait

RIGHT
MAC MILLER

I know it hasn't been easy lately
But you don't want to leave me, baby
And you know I hate to keep you waiting
But when it's right, girl, it's right, yeah

"By the power vested in me, I pronounce Park Jimin and Jung Jisung husband and wife!" The priest announces. Jeongguk feels his knees go weak, his palms clammy and his eyes prickling with the beginnings of tears. Jimin, still beautiful and dashing in his white suit, turns to him. His face isn't the expression of anguish Jeongguk expects to see, though—his plump pink lips are turned up into a smirk, his eyes narrowed. He laughs. He laughs in Jeongguk's face, laughs at his pain and his betrayal and his broken heart. His arm winds around Jisung's waist, pulling her to his side.

"J-Jimin...what?" Jeongguk chokes out, his throat tight and constricted, voice thick with tears. Jimin laughs again, shaking his head at Jeongguk.

"Silly Jeonggukkie." He chuckles. Jeongguk used to love when Jimin called him that, but now it just feels like a knife through the heart, a condescending insult. "Did you really think that we would ever be together?" He asks.

"Yes—yes I did. I still do." Jeongguk exclaims, begging. "Please. Do not do this to me. I love you with all of my heart." He pleads, reaching for Jimin's hand, and bringing it to his lips in a gentle kiss when Jimin allows him to take it. When Jeongguk looks up at him, he sees the Jimin he's known and loved for years, his Jimin. But then his hand is pulled away, leaving Jeongguk grasping at thin air, staring at the empty space between his fingers. The hand that was once between his gently caresses his cheek and cards through his hair.

"Stupid boy." Jimin murmurs, the tears spilling out of Jeongguk's eyes and down his cheek. "How could I ever love someone like you? You're not my soulmate. You're a Wanderer, for Christ's sake. You're nothing to me."

"I—I'm sorry." Jeongguk blurts out, unsure of what to say that could make any of this better. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He repeats, over and over until every fiber of his being is wraught with guilt and hurt.

"I'm sure you are, Jeongguk." Jimin reaches for him, though Jeongguk isn't sure for what.

"Jeongguk."

"Jeongguk."

"Jeongguk!"

Jeongguk gasps awake, breathless and covered in a sheen of cold sweat, entire body shaking. His sweat mixes in with the tears on his cheeks as he struggles against the force gripping his shoulders as he lets out pathetic sobs.

Wait. Something's holding his shoulders.

Jeongguk stills enough to process his surroundings, and he's unbelievably relieved when the meadow of his nightmare is gone, and along with it, Jimin. In Jimin's place is Haneul, worry written all over her face as she kneels on the bed, hands holding a viselike grip on his shoulders that loosens as Jeongguk comes to his senses. He catches his breath, teary eyes connecting with hers. He is too exhausted to feel ashamed, though he knows that when he gets enough sleep to realize that she has seen him like this, he'll never let himself live it down.

Slowly, Haneul drops her hands. Though it isn't her priority right now, she vividly recalls the way he rejected touch earlier. The last thing she wants to do is disrespect his boundaries and personal space, but the thing she wants to do most is hold the shaking boy until he calms down. Instead, his hands grip at the sweat dampened sheets and his eyes are looking everywhere but at her. This gives Haneul the perfect opportunity to look at the man in front of her; the one she heard whimpering and tossing and turning in his sleep from across the apartment.