Chapter Seventeen

Eli sits curled up in bed, her eyes on Bruce across the room. He's sat as his desk, writing in the journal she gave him for Christmas, it's honestly one of his prize possessions, glasses pressed up against his eyes as he concentrates. How many times has she laid in bed and watched him work like that? In silence. Nothing more is needed. It's comfortable. Peaceful. She stretches slightly shifting to get up, the blankets falling away from her body to reveal the shorts and vest combo she wears. Standing she pulls on one of his discarded shirts and walks towards him, he reaches for her when she does, this isn't anything new either, when she gets bored she'll approach him and he'll give her the attention she wants.

"Sooo" she starts sitting in his lap, his arm wrapping around her waist as he leans back. "Valentine's day is just around the corner" she starts to unbutton his shirt. "And now we're doing holidays" she teases.

"What did you have in mind?" he asks as she finishes with his buttons and then runs her fingers over his chest.

"Well it's all about romance and shit" she starts, he smirks.

"And shit" he agrees teasingly, she shoots him a look.

"As I was saying" she leans closer to him, his fingers moving up her arm. "Maybe we can....try something new" she starts.

"Hmm like what?"

"Like....sex with the Hulk" she answers, he stares up at her as she lifts her eyes slightly. And he sees she's serious.

"No" he shuts that down straight off, that is not going to happen.

"Just hear me out" she argues.

"Eli, it's not....I don't even want to being to imagine the sort of damage he could do to you....doing that"

"I'll heal" she counters, he shoots her a look.

"Why? Why do you want...? I mean....Why?"

"Because I love you and I want to be with you" she offers. "All of you, that includes him"

"So....you'd be okay with me and your...wolf..."

"What?" she asks him. "No" she answers. "Because my form is an actual animal...the Hulk...He's humanoid, he talks, he thinks, he feels.....he's sentient"

"But he's..." he starts to argues before she raises an eyebrow and cocks her head scenting slightly, she can smell is on him, and she's surprised.

"Are you jealous?" she asks, he rolls his eyes slightly.

"No" he argues, she raises an eyebrow. "Fine. Yes" he admits. "I feel some times you and him have more in common then we do"

"That's not true" she counters.

"Isn't it?" he asks. "Don't get me wrong, I adore you, I really do, but...."

"Well...I guess we don't...." she starts looking down a little before taking a breath. "If you cure yourself, we won't have to worry about this ever again" she climbs off of his lap and he sighs watching her walk away. "You'll get what you want and....." she shakes her head.

"And?" he asks her.

"What happens to us" she starts. "When you're just another human?" he watches her slightly. "You'll go back to the States, get back in with your smart scientist friends, no doubt the government will get involved.....and me..." she sighs. "I'm just a mutant" she states. "And that's not a world I belong in, Bruce" she reminds him. "I don't want you to go back to being who you were before Hulk....because I don't see us surviving if you do" He looks down, understanding now, but he can't..he can't live with the Hulk the way she does her wolf, to be terrified every moment of everyday that he is going to snap and hurt the woman he loves, to draw the government here to her, to them. But he doesn't want to loose her. Unfortunately there is no middle ground here. He looks to her, and she sees her answer in his eyes, she nods a little, pained and then leaves, slamming the door behind her as she does, Bruce sits on the edge of the bed and sighs letting his eyes close.

...................

Bruce wakes alone in the middle of the next night, Eli yet to return from wherever she disappeared too, part of him thinks she's gone for good, he wouldn't blame her, their life isn't easy. He isn't easy to live with. He draws his hand over the side of her bed and closes his eyes before he pulls his hand back climbing from it to make tea. But he smells her first, she's smoking and there is an undertone of tequila, so she's been drinking. He follows his nose, walking through the kitchen. Bruce fiddles with his hands, nervous as he approaches her.

"Hey" he greets, Eli glances to him and then looks away again. "I'm sorry" he offers stepping closer to where she sits in the open window smoking. "I didn't think that that's how you'd feel about...." he sighs a little. "I haven't really thought about after. I don't really know what will happen" he admits. "I don't....I guess a part of me knows that even with him gone it's not going to be as easy as walking back into my old life.....But I do want you there, Eli" he assures her. "Whatever life it is I will still want you in it" her frame loosens slightly. "I love you, that's not going to change" she glances to him. "And the thing with the other guy...I just..." he looks down a little before looking up at her as she lets out a breath.

"It's okay, it was just an idea.." she flicks the cigarette away from her and climbs back in through the window. "I won't bring it up again" she kisses his cheek and then walks away towards their bedroom. Bruce takes a breath. At least she's back. That's all that matters. He follows her out of the room and into the next. She's settled on her side of the bed and he joins her, pulling the blankets around them both, he wraps his arm around her waist and pulls himself closer to her, she relaxes into his chest. Just glad to be back here with him.

...................

Things are awkward for a couple of weeks, lingering effects of their argument and true to her word Eli doesn't bring up the Hulk again. Not even in passing conversation. In fact she's quiet. Almost too much, but he doesn't say anything because he knows it may take time to work through their issue. But he misses her, the small distance that's now between them is less then subtle. He wants to fix it. He catches her off guard whilst she's drinking tea at the table in the kitchen. He sets her duffel bag at her feet and she lifts her eyes to him.

"What is this?" she asks him slowly.

"It's you duffel bag" he points out, she smirks and nods.

"I can see that" she agrees. "Why is it packed?"

"Tomorrow is Valentine's day and we're going to take a trip, to our spot in the jungle" he offers. "Just you and me and some time away....." she stands to kiss him softly.

"Bruce" she starts. "We don't have to go anywhere....we can stay here"

"We need this" he argues. "Somewhere peaceful. Just to...."

"Bruce, we're fine" she assures him.

"Just...please" he argues. "Right now, can we go?" she frowns a little knowing there is more to this, more to his plan, something else, but she brushes over it, he'll tell her when he is ready.

"Okay, if it's what you want" she offers and picks up her bag, she touches his cheek and kisses him softly, his hand finds her waist, curling around her. "Come on then" she teases slightly. "If you're so desperate to get out of here"