Opening Up

Here's a super fun and exciting chap- and it's a long one too! I'm pretty sure that this is the moment you've all been waiting for, so I hope I did it justice.... man, it makes me want to be on a stage. Have fun, comment and vote please and thank you.
-ab

————————————

November 3, 2025

Harper

I sit in my dressing room, absolutely terrified about what the next few minutes have in store for me. I twirl the long hair from my wig around my fingers and run over my cues in my head.

The opening notes of the show drifting through my speakers catch me off guard, and I jump a little bit, then start to laugh to myself. My nerves only seem to grow as I hear Cassie out there, killing her big song.

I do the one thing that's always calmed me. I turn on a Taylor Swift song, and just let loose. Of course, I have to keep my little dance party quiet, as the walls in this place are paper thin, and we don't need the audience hearing my music while they're trying to watch a show that they payed good money for.

Though it would be rather funny, considering that Taylor herself is in the audience tonight.

Once I'm through with dancing to 'You Belong With Me' and 'Gorgeous,' I realize that it's almost my cue. After giving myself one more check in the mirror, I pick up my skirt and run down the stairs to the wings of the stage.

Once it's finally my time to go onstage, I take a deep breath and enter for 'Rumor In St. Petersburg.' I love this number, even if I don't have the biggest part in it. Of course, I love all of the show, but I remember being a kid and watching the original animated movie; I was so fascinated by the dancing in this number.

After 'Rumor' is done, I know that I'm up for 'In My Dreams,' which is probably my favourite song in the whole show.

The audience applauds like crazy once I'm done with the song. I don't know how many of them know that I'm making my debut, but I hope that those who do are impressed. Even those who don't, I would hope, are still impressed.

I make my way through the rest of the first act. This act is slightly easier for me than the second act. I wear the same costume and wig the whole way through, and it doesn't have quite the emotional range.

As the second act approaches, after the interval, though, I'm feeling quite confident. Act I went so well, that I'm floating on air. Even with the lingering threat of my troubles with 'Paris Holds The Key (To Your Heart,)' I'm not too afraid. 

And, if I may say so, I kill the dancing. Coming offstage, I can't contain my smile.

"You are doing so great," Toby whispers to me, as we rush to our next marks.

"You too."

Before I know it, I've gone through all of my outfits and I'm about to step onstage in my final dress.

I hope that the effect of this dress never wears off. Every time that I have put it on, so far, I have felt so pretty. I don't feel that way too often, in spite of Patrick telling me how gorgeous I am, pretty much constantly.

When it is my cue, I walk out, and do what I've been taught. Running through the scenes, the show is over before I know it.

Cassie starts the bows, followed by ensemble members, and the other characters. I have the very last bow.

As I run out and bow, everyone in the entire room is applauding. I can't believe how much love there is in the air, as the entire audience is on their feet. Cheers are echoing off of the walls, and I can't help but smile bigger than I ever have in my life.

Then, I join my cast for a final bow as a company, before we  all run offstage.

"That was amazing!" Cassie screams, running up the stairs to her dressing room. I laugh at the excited little girl, then make my way towards my dressing room, where I get out of costume and take off my wig and makeup at record speed. Instead of trying to deal with my pin curls tonight, I simply throw my beanie on, slip my engagement ring back onto my finger, then wrap myself up in my coat. With my thermos of tea in one hand, and a marker to sign autographs with in the other, I head out to the stage door, all jittery and excited to see my guests, as well as everyone else who has come to tonight's show.

After I stage door, the entire cast is going out for a bit of a party, with all of our guests. Of course, we can't get too wild, as tomorrow, we have to do the show all over again. Still, it will be nice to celebrate everything that has happened tonight. We have put everything that we have into this show, ever since we began rehearsals, and we finally have something to show for that.

After signing lots of autographs and taking lots of pictures, while thanking everyone for their kind words, I finally make my way over to Patrick and the rest of my guests. I can't believe how many people have shown up to support me today, but it makes me so happy.

"You, love, were absolutely sunning up there," Patrick tells me.

"Thank you so much," I tell him, before he pulls me into a kiss, which I vaguely notice Taylor capturing with a picture on her phone.

"Send me that, okay?" I whisper to Taylor.

"Of course" she replies. "Congratulations, love. You were brilliant."

"Thank you so much," I smile, laughing a bit at her blue wig that she has on, as well as sunglasses, in spite of it being so dark out. Joe is wearing a green wig. Both of them want to protect their identities, as to not take away from the attention of the cast, which I think is amazingly kind of them.

I notice Cassie coming out of the stage door, so I grab her hand and pull her over. "Cass, I need you to meet somebody, but you can't tell anybody who it is, okay?"

I signal to the woman with the blue hair. "This is my friend Taylor. I think you know some of her music."

Cassie's eyes widen. "Wait..."

I nod. "Shh."

"You were amazing," Taylor whispers, pulling Cassie into a hug. "Congratulations, sweetie."

"Thank you so much," she exclaims, with giddy excitement in her voice.

"Go find your mum now," I tell the little girl. "I just thought that you might like that."

"Thank you, Harper!" she exclaims, throwing her arms around my waist. I giggle and rub her back before sending her off to find her mum, who is surely waiting for her.

After that, I go to talk to Nessa and Katherine. "Hey," I smile.

"Harper!" Katherine squeals, immediately throwing her arms around my neck for a hug. "You were so great. I cried so much."

"Me too," Nessa adds in, hugging me after I'm done with Katherine's hug.

"Thank you guys so much for coming," I tell them. "I know that you're both busy."

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss this for the world," Kath rolls her eyes.

"Seriously, Harper."

"So, do you think that they're hiring for the Odette role?" Kath asks, with a little glisten in her eyes.

"I don't know," I shrug. "They don't tell me anything. Seriously, I just do my role every night, then leave."

"Well, that's unfortunate," Kath chuckles, to which Nessa playfully slaps her arm.

"You've got to focus on Nutcracker right now, remember?"

"Right. That."