Welcome To New York

Hey kids. I'm starting school tomorrow. yeehaw, senior year, baby! Just kidding, I'm dreading it, but that's okay. I wanted to publish this with hopes that you all might give me something to smile at in the morning, just as you always do. Love you all lots. I hope you like this one-comment/vote if you wish xxxx
-ab

——————————————-

November 30, 2026

Harper

Before I know it, packing is done, and I'm sitting in a seat at the airport, sandwiched between Nessa and Katherine. In about ten minutes, we will be boarding a plane to New York City.

The three of us have been wanting to do some travelling together for the absolute longest time, but we have never gotten around to it, until now. The fact that Gabe's parents are paying makes it all even better- while it's quite technically for Nessa's work, she won't be doing much work at all on this trip. We are just going to get to run around, seeing shows and playing tourists.

We are to be gone for just over a week- our flight home is on December 8, from New York, meaning that we we will be back on December 9 in London. It's going to be such a great time. We are being put up in quite a fancy hotel, in a lovely suite with a view of Times Square out of the window.

Soon, we are on the plane. While we would have been perfectly fine in coach, Gabe upgraded our seats a few days ago so that we would have extra legroom. I'm by the window, and Nessa is next to me. Katherine is on the aisle seat.

Nessa and I are sharing a fuzzy blanket, and both of us are watching movies on the screens in front of us. I notice Kath is doing the same thing. While I've picked My Fair Lady, one of my favourite movie musicals, and I'm a sucker for old movies, Nessa is watching The Lion King, and Kath is watching La La Land.

We don't really talk for most of the flight. Basically the entire plane is silent, short of the occasional cry from a baby or complaining toddler. I knock out another movie and a few episodes of various TV shows before I notice that I can see land out of the window.

"We are about to begin our decent into New York City. Please make sure that your seats and tray tables are in an upright position." The pilot's voice crackles loudly through the tannoy.

A giant smile breaks onto Kath's face. She hasn't been back to New York since coming for a ballet summer intensive when she was a teenager, and she didn't get to explore much then. She's been itching to actually see this city for... well, basically her entire life, I think.

Soon, the plane is safe on the concrete ground of New York. It takes a bit to get off of the plane, but not too long, as most people are itching to be, well, anywhere but on this plane, after a long flight.

"Hello, New York!" Kath says, skipping through the airport.

"How are we getting to the hotel, Ness?"

"Gabe says that there should be a car waiting for us," she informs me, looking up from her phone. She tucks it in her pocket and we hop onto a moving walkway to help transport us more quickly.

Thankfully, none of us checked a bag, as we didn't want to worry about losing our luggage. This means that we can head right to the pickup area.

Our eyes dart, almost immediately, to a man in a suit, holding a sign which reads "Wandering Journeys Magazine."

"That's us," Nessa says, walking over.

"Nessa, Katherine, and Harper?" the man asks.

"That's us," Nessa replies.

"Wonderful. Can I please just see ID from you three to be sure before we get moving?"

"Oh! Of course," Nessa says. The three of us fish around in our bags for a bit before producing our passports or identification cards, whichever we find first.

"Lovely. Right this way, please," the man says after confirming our identities. He takes us to a car, where we load our small suitcases into the trunk, then get on the road. "Welcome to New York. Get comfortable. There's lots of traffic here. Feel free to help yourself to a bottle of water. They're in the cooler on the ground."

All three of us take a bottle of water, then watch out of the windows as the man drives us through the heart of the city. It does take quite a long time, but we eventually make it to the hotel.

Before we know it, we are all checked in and settled at the hotel.

"Well," I ask, "now what?"

"Sleep," Nessa groans.

"I think that we should do something," Kath pipes in.

"Yeah," I nod. "It'll help us get adjusted to the time change. Even if it is just something little, like getting some food..."

"I could go for food," Nessa admits.

"Great. I'll find a restaurant," Kath says, pulling out her phone and presumably, googling nearby places to eat.

Nessa pulls her hair into a ponytail and reluctantly pulls herself off of the bed. "I really could just go for a whole night's sleep right now."

"That won't be of any help to you tomorrow, though. You'd be awake so early because you went to bed so early. Plus, you stay up at home all of the time- later than it is there right now. Find some energy and let's get going," I tell Nessa, pulling my winter coat over my shoulders and buttoning it up.

Nessa doesn't say anything, but both of us know that I'm right.

I suddenly realize that I've not checked in with Patrick since I was last in London. I pull out my phone and send him a text.

Harper: We are safe in New York, and in the hotel. Kath is finding somewhere for us to eat. I hope you're having a nice night xxx

Patrick: Glad to hear that everything went smoothly and that you had safe travels. I can't wait to hear about all of the fun that you're having. I love you and hope you have an amazing time xxx

Patrick: Call me in the morning if you're able to. I'll try my hardest to pick up. I'm going to watch some telly and rest for a bit, then go to bed now. Goodnight.

Harper: Will do. Goodnight xxx

With Patrick now knowing that I'm safe, I tuck my phone away. Kath proclaims that she found a restaurant within walking distance, so we all head out of the hotel and into the city.