Long Way Home

Oh my gosh, it's been way too long since I've updated. I could give a million excuses but I won't bore you with that. I'm sorry. I will tell you, though, that I saw Come From Away on Thursday, and PLEASE, go see that show if it comes near you on tour and you're able to. It's absolutely amazing and sososo important of a story to tell.
With that being said, there are some big things coming up in this book, so I hope you all like it! (Also, no more having to listen to me get excited over castles in this book and I'm sure you'll all be glad hehe!) comment/vote if you wish x
-ab

————————————-

February 8, 2025

Patrick

"Love, it's time to wake up," I whisper to my wife, at an hour much too early. "We have to head home today."

She mutters something, but I can't understand quite what she says. I just laugh and nod.

"Come on. We have to get packed up and hit the road. We can grab breakfast on our drive back."

She rubs her eyes and pushes herself into a sitting position.

"No surprises today," I tell her. "Just a drive home, and then to Katherine's put-in."

"Right. That," she groans. "God, I don't want to."

"Love, it's going to be fun," I tell her.

"I've not sung in an entire week, though."

"Well, then it's good that you're having this practice before you've got to go belt out 'Journey To The Past' in a real show."

"I suppose," she grumbles.

I watch as she walks over to her bag and rifles through her clothes, trying to find a clean outfit.

Eventually, Harper picks out a purple jumper and a pair of jeans, then gets changed. I do the same, then we look around our room.

"Did we get everything?" I ask her. "You got all of your makeup from the bathroom and such?"

"I think so," she nods. "This was a great week, Patrick. Thank you, so much. I had no idea how badly I needed an escape."

"I knew, though. I'm glad that I was able to help you. That is my job, after all."

She smiles a little bit, then I turn to my packing.

It isn't too long at all before we are all ready to get driving back home. "You'll be happy to get back to London, I'm sure," I remark.

"Yeah," she admits, "but not happy about having to walk through Piccadilly circus with all of those tourists to get to work."

I laugh. "It's a trade off, I'd suppose."

"I don't think that I could ever do a tour like Ava is doing. I'd be away from London for too long."

"Well, I guess that you'll just have to stay on the West End, then."

"I couldn't complain about that," she smiles.

After loading our bags into the boot of our rental car, Harper and I hit the road. I let her pick the first album that we listen to, so she starts to blast the Natasha, Pierre And The Great Comet of 1812 cast album over the speaker system. Whatever wakes her up, I suppose.

It's about a seven hour drive to London, so we really have to get comfortable in the car.

"Do you want me to drive at all today?" she offers. "I mean, it's been a while since I've driven, but I do know how, if I really have to."

I laugh. "I'm alright, love. You just cuddle up and relax for this ride. If you need to sleep, then you can. I won't judge. You need energy for your rehearsal this afternoon."

"I wonder how Kath is doing."

I look at the time. She should be awake by now. "How about you ring her and talk to her for a bit?"

"Alright." Harper pulls up Katherine's contact and puts their conversation on speakerphone.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kath," Harper says. "You're on speaker. I'm in the car with Patrick."

"Oh. Hi Patrick!"

"Hey, Kath," I laugh. "Are you getting excited for today's rehearsal?"

"I'm terrified," she admits. "But, I'd suppose that I'm excited, too."

"I can't believe that you make your debut tomorrow," Harper exclaims. "You're going to be so good."

"I know the dancing. I'm good on that, so long as my pointe shoes, which are so perfectly broken in right now, don't decide to give out on me. I think that it's the singing that will be the death of me."

"Oh my god, you're going to be fine," Harper rolls her eyes. She turns to me. "Wait until you hear this girl sing. She's amazing."

"Thanks, love," Kath laughs. "We will see today, I guess."

"I guess so," Harper replies.

Katherine and Harper talk for a few more minutes. I chime in a few times, but mostly focus on driving, as I can't afford to get us lost, or Harper could very well be late for her rehearsal. That wouldn't be good.

When the girls eventually hang up, Harper yawns.

"Take a nap, love. I can tell that you need one."

"No, I'm fine. You can't sleep, so I'd feel bad."

"Harper, it's fine. I'm going to get some sleep while you're in rehearsal, probably."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, my love. Nap, okay? You'll thank me in the long run."

"Okay," she sighs. I disconnect her phone from the speaker system, leaving the car in silence as she grabs her blanket and pillow from the backseat.

It isn't long before Harper is sleeping, and I'm just watching the road as I drive.

Harper wakes up just before it's time to stop for lunch, which is just about perfect, because I don't have to wake her up. We decide to keep it simple and grab some McDonald's, in spite of Harper's protests about her vocal cord health.

Yep, she's back in her high-strung, work mode already.

I figured that it was only a matter of time before she was back to her usual, anxiety-ridden self, but it really was nice to be able to see her let go for a little bit, this past week.

If anything, maybe she won't be quite as stressed as she was when I took her on this holiday. Even if it's the tiniest bit, it would still be a success.

After what feels like forever, we make it back to London. Of course, the worst part of our trip is the stretch that is right in the city. We are caught up in traffic for nearly an hour before Harper is able to get within walking distance of her theatre.

"I'm just going to let you out here, alright love? Do you have everything that you need for your show?"

"Yep," she replies, patting her cross-body bag. "It's all good."

"Great. Break a leg today, and I'll see you when you're done, alright? You're good to take the tube home?"

"I'll be fine," she insists. "I love you, and thank you so much again, for such an amazing week."

"It really was my pleasure," I say. "Now, go have some fun."

She climbs out of the car and scurries onto the sidewalk, then I turn my attention back to the road. As I start to drive back to my flat, I'm reminded of why Harper and I don't own a car, and likewise, why we use the tube instead of the bus: London traffic is absolutely no fun.