For Good

Hey kids. Long time no update. This week has been CRAZY for me- I saw Dear Evan Hansen yesterday, though, and it was AMAZING. Anyway, my girl Katherine (sofaroffbway) got me into a Wicked mood, hence the name of this chapter... and I think you all could guess what's coming based off of the song. Not the happiest chapter ever... sorry about that. Don't be too mad at me, please xxxx comment/vote
-ab

—————————————-

March 23, 2026

Patrick

Peeking in the door, I'm just able to see Harper give her dad a kiss on the cheek. "I love you, Daddy," she whispers.

Though he doesn't say anything, I know that he hears her. He clearly is at least a little bit conscious, or at least not comatose.

After whispering that, I notice that he gives her hand a small little squeeze. At that, she stands up. "I've got to be on my way now..."

She wipes tears out of her eyes as her mum gives her a hug.

"Don't worry about him, Harper. He'll be in a better place in not too long. He's been in lots of pain these past few weeks, but he hasn't told you about it because he doesn't want to worry you."

Harper frowns. "I'm sorry, Mum."

"Nothing to be sorry about, dear. You were the light of his life. There's no question to it. He loves you so much, and he always will love you. Now, break a leg on your show, dearie. Try to forget about it, alright?"

"Easier said than done," she mumbles. Harper gives her mum another hug, then takes one last glace at her dad. "Bye, Daddy."

Then, she walks over to meet me in the doorway. Instead of saying anything, she simply throws herself into my arms and buries her head in my chest, her body violently convulsing with sobs. I rub her back and blink back tears of my own.

"Shhh, let's take you somewhere else to get you cleaned up," I whisper to her.

"Okay," she replies, in the tiniest voice. I lead her down the hallway, and when we reach the nurses' station, I ask them, "Where is the nearest gender-neutral toilet?"

"Straight down the hall, on your left," she points me in the right direction. I thank her, and lead Harper there.

Inside of the small water closet, I close and lock the door. "Deep breaths,"  I instruct my wife.

She walks over to the sink and splashes some cool water on her face. "I'm okay," she insists. "I'm good. Really. I promise."

"Are you sure?"

"I think so. It's just hard. He's always been in my life. But I'm fine. Really." Her breathing is still unsteady, so I take a moment to help her calm it before deciding that she really is good to go.

"And you're sure that you'll be alright for the show tonight?"

"I'm sure," she insists. "When I'm in that costume, I just sort of... slip into a different world. I'll be good. Really."

"Harper..."

"I'm fine," she tells me. "I just need a bit of fresh air and some time to think in my dressing room."

"Okay..." I reply, reluctantly. I want to stick around the theatre tonight, just to make sure that she's okay. I've also been worried about her taking the tube alone, ever since that incident with the girl, Millie.

Harper's been resistant to buying a car, in spite of my wishes, so she's still taking the tube home from the theatre late at night. I don't like that one bit.

It's only a few moments until we walk out of the hospital and towards the nearest tube station. The slight chill in the air is actually quite refreshing, as we walk down the London street.

On the tube, we sit in silence. I don't know how I can help Harper, and she doesn't really want to talk about it. I know that saying anything would risk sending her into tears, and I can't do that.

Once we are at the theatre, I send her in the stage door, then head down the street for a bit of a walk. I've got a bit of time before I am going to go to the box office and see what sort of leftover tickets they might have for me tonight. It's really nice that I'm able to do that with Anastasia. I never was with Les Mis, as they were almost always very close to sold out, if not a completely full house.

"Dr. Patrick!" I hear from a little voice behind me as I'm walking around Piccadilly Circus. I turn around to see Leo and his Mum. "We came to see Miss Harper in Anastasia, just like you said!"

"Wow," I smile at him. "I hope she's good today. It's been a hard day for her."

Leo frowns. "Is Miss Harper sick?"

"No, she's just sad," I tell him. "Her Daddy is sick."

"Oh."

Leo frowns. "Well, maybe I can make her smile!"

I laugh. "I'm sure that she would love that. I'll take you backstage after the show, alright, Leo?"

"Yay!" he exclaims. "I get to see Miss Harper!"

His mum and I laugh.

"Thank you," she mouths to me.

"Just meet me at the stage door after the show, okay? I'll tell Harper to expect some special surprise guests."

Leo smiles. I can tell that he's excited.

"Well, let Dr. Patrick move along with his day," Leo's mum says. "We will see him in a few hours."

"Bye Dr. Patrick," the little boy says, to which I give him a little wave and head along on my way.

After a bit, I find myself back at the theatre, where I walk into the box office and make the proper arrangements with the ticket sales department, so that I'm able to see he show again. It's a pretty good seat this time around. That's just what they had open- near the back of the dress circle. I'm usually in the upper circle.

I can't help but hold my breath as I'm waiting for Harper to make her entrance. I'm not entirely sure if she will, in all honesty. I'm envisioning her in her dressing room, with mascara running down her cheeks from tears.

I can't even seem to watch Kath during the opening scenes. I'm so worried about Harper. She wasn't in good shape, not too long ago.

By some minor miracle, though, Harper walks onstage right on cue, during 'Rumour In St. Petersburg."

I really hope that she can forget what's going on in her life, and hold it together for the entire show.