8.

*Check end note

*Check end note

Chapter 8.

Y/n's Pov

We were running swiftly, with water droplets gently caressing our skin, saturating our clothes and making it difficult to move. Thorny bushes and protruding branches obstructed our path. Dim moonlight filtered through the dense foliage, offering a faint glow to guide us. We were fleeing aimlessly, pursued by an unseen menace. We could hear them, relentlessly chasing us, as bullets whizzed past and pocket knives were hurled in our direction, seeking to strike us.

Suddenly, I stumbled over an unyielding stone, crashing onto the ground face-first, tearing my flesh in the process. Blood began to ooze from the wound, causing me immense pain. I cried out in anguish, my desperate wails catching the attention of my father. He swiftly came to my side, scooped me up in his arms, and resumed our frenzied escape. Overwhelmed by the agony, I couldn't help but release another cry when an object pierced my skin. I glanced at my shoulder, only to discover a bullet stubbornly lodged in my flesh. The excruciating pain intensified, and I let out yet another anguished cry, despising my existence and longing for an end to the torment. The rain mercilessly washed away my blood, exacerbating the sting of my injuries and bruises. I gazed at my father, witnessing tears welling up in his eyes, and observed my mother's panic-stricken state. I couldn't comprehend why we were being pursued, what we had done to deserve such cruelty.

Why were they chasing us? Who were they? What did they want? Were my parents guilty of some wrongdoing?

At the tender age of seven, I was unable to fathom the cruelty of life.

We continued to flee from those relentless pursuers until we finally reached our secluded refuge near the forest. My mother swiftly locked all the doors and collapsed against the wall, sliding down as she sobbed inconsolably.

"H-honey, why don't we just give it to him?" my mother stammered through her sobs.

"We can't, Sunmi. Even if it means sacrificing my life, I will not surrender. I refuse to let him obtain those files. Besides, that item is securely concealed," my father replied with determination and a touch of valor in his voice.

Suddenly, loud bangs reverberated through the air, accompanied by a menacing voice eerily sweet, "Open the damn door, my dear brother!"

In haste, my mother carried me and rushed toward the back door, concealing me behind a barrel.

"Stay safe, y/n. Mommy and Daddy love you," my mother uttered, her voice strained by sobs, as she gently kissed my forehead.