Chapter 15

The van parked quietly, managing to avoid any sightings. Then again, it was the middle of the night.

Everyone was asleep inside John's house. That is, until Claire jumped up suddenly.

"What was that?" She thought to herself before lying back down. She heard movement, and opened her eyes, barely able to see a man approaching Arlo and Elaine. Before she could move, Elaine had already woke up.

"ARLO!" She yelled, immediately waking Arlo up. She jumped up and threw her arm in front of Arlo, and she winced as she was stabbed. Arlo activated his ability and grabbed the man's neck, picking him up then slamming him down into the ground, and created a barrier so he couldn't move.

"What do we have here? An intruder? What brings you here tonight?" Arlo's smirk told the man all he needed to know. They were expecting him.

Elaine pulled the knife out of her arm.

"My wound is hardly healing! Wait a sec! This knife...!"

"Arlo, this knife is the same one Seraphina had with her! He may be the one behind this!"

"Is that so? Then you've got some explaining to do." The man was now struggling to pull Arlo's hand from his throat. John and Claire quickly came running down the hallway into the room to see Arlo already dealing with the intruder.

"What the hell is going on here?"

"We found the assailant. Can you believe this guy? He actually had the balls to come back for her." John stood shaking, staring at Arlo.

"Arlo's barrier is activated. But why can't I sense it at all?" His face didn't go unnoticed by Claire, but she figured it had something to do with his anger towards the man. John walked up and glared at the man.

"Gonna need you to speak up." Arlo said, removing the mask covering the man's face.

"Who are you? What do you have to gain from this?" The man didn't respond at first, so John tried.

"What did you do to Sera?"

"You're not getting anything out of me." John clenched his fists in anger.

"Look here, you better start talking! Or I'll stick this knife up your ass!" While John yelled his threats at the man, Arlo was lost in thought.

"Hm, this doesn't make sense. It seems a bit too easy. The man is hardly putting up a fight."

"Hold on, we're missing something here. Someone of this caliber could never lay a hand on Seraphina. How did you do it? Tell me." Claire's eyes widened and she turned around.

"Wait, she's..." Suddenly, they all heard a crash, startling everyone until John finally realized what was happening.

"SERA!!" He took off into a full sprint, running right for the room.

"Hey, wait up!"

Arlo watched them run away as his grip on the man's neck tightened.

"There are more of them? So this guy was just a decoy?!" He looked back at the man and chopped the side of his neck, knocking him out as he stood up and walked towards John's bedroom.

John ran into his room to see a man holding Sera.

"Hey! Don't you dare take another step!" John demanded, his ability activated while his hand glew yellow. The man turned around and used his ability, which seemed to increase his speed. At that very same moment, a van was pulling up and it seemed they'd get away with Sera.

"What's happening?! My barrier didn't work!" Grinding his teeth, John jumped out the window after him and took off in a full sprint towards the man. The surprise of how fast John was was enough for Arlo to activate his barrier, which barely stopped the man from entering the van. John approached the man slowly, before he panicked and grabbed a knife, holding it to Sera's neck.

"STAY BACK!" He yelled, causing John to freeze in place.

"Make one move, and I'll kill her!"

"...!"

"I want you to de-activate your ability! And tell your friend to take down his barrier! NOW!!"