Chapter 29

Io and Blyke were talking while John, Remi and Sera watched from behind. John seemed really uncomfortable now, and it was starting to show.

"John, are you okay?" Remi asked him.

"Yeah. I'll be fine. Just got a headache all of a sudden..." He put his hand on his head and shook it.

"I'll be okay." He looked Remi in the eyes, and seeing her worry glance made him blush slightly as he turned. Sera caught it and smirked.

"Hey guys, is it cool if Io hangs out with us for a bit?" Blyke asked them, catching their attention.

"Sure. I don't have a problem with it." Remi replied.

"I don't see why not. John?" Sera looked at him with the smirk on her face still, making him embarrassed, but he gave a small smile.

"Sure." The rest of the day they spent together, it felt awkward, though they all tried to pretend it wasn't. John seemed uncomfortable around Io, though Io just ignored it and tried his best to get along with John. Soon they all went separate ways, with John and Blyke walking back to their room.

"Hey John, I wanted to ask you something." Blyke stopped walking for a second, making John turn around and look at him. John had really seemed to be taking the company of new friends well, and his whole demeanor was changing again.

"What is it?" John asked.

"I'm just gonna be straightforward. Do you like Remi?"

To say John was shocked was an understatement.

"W-what?"

"Listen man, I'm just asking because I don't want you to break her heart." Blyke took a couple steps towards John and looked him in the eyes, something that he didn't expect himself to do.

"Don't hurt her." He walked past John and exhaled the breath he had been holding.

"Woah...did I just do that?! What the hell?!"

"I won't." John replied to him, facing the other way. Blyke only gave a sad smile though.

"As long as she's happy."

The next morning, Blyke entered the math room to see Io and Mr. Vil talking.

"Ah Blyke, I see you've met Io already."

"Ah, yes sir. It was completely on accident though." Mr. Vil only chuckled.

"Well, take care of my son alright? Make sure you keep him out of trouble."

"Trouble? What kind of kid do you think I am Dad?"

"Hey Io, I've been meaning to ask you. What's your ability?" Io had been expecting this. Perhaps at his old school he'd dread it, but here was a different story.

"My ability is called Illusion. My ability level is 6.2." Blyke's eyes widened a bit.

"Wow, you're strong. What does your ability do?"

"I can't quite explain it just yet. I'll show you sometime though." Blyke only nodded, as the first bell rang, meaning breakfast was now available to the students.

"Blyke, I've talked to the Headmaster so you will be excused from your absences from class. I suggest you go eat something soon, alright Io? Keep your strength up." He pat his son on the back, and he nodded.

"Alright Dad, I'll be going now."

"Take care." Mr. Vil replied, and the two kids went off to breakfast.

Arlo and Elaine were walking through the hall on their way to the cafeteria when Cecile approached the duo.

"Arlo. Could we talk for a minute? In private?" Arlo nodded, and looked at Elaine.

"I'll talk to you later."

"A-Ah, okay! I guess I'll see you." She bowed slightly and ran off.

"What is it, Cecile?"

"Not here. Let's go somewhere else." She turned around and began walking. They walked to a corner and stopped.

"Alright this is far enough." Cecile said, as she turned to face him.

"What do you want?"

"This is about John." Immediately, Arlo's mood darkened.

"What about him?"

"I need your help with something. I want to dethrone John."

John sneezed as him and Seraphina approached the school.

"You getting sick?" Sera asked him, and John waved her off.

"Nah, someone's probably just talking about me! :D" She just chuckled and punched his arm lightly.

"I'm sure."

"Hey John!" Remi said, as her and Elaine approached the duo.

"Hey Rem. What's up?"

"You guys wanna eat breakfast? I heard from Isen that today they're serving the breakfast casserole." At the mere mention of it, John's mouth started to water.

"Man, I haven't had that since I got here! Alright let's go!" The group all quickly made their way to the cafeteria to find there were still pieces of the casserole left.

"Ah, sweet! I bet it tastes amazing!" Remi exclaimed, taking a bite out of it.

"It's better than I remember it being." Sera took a bite and watched the other kids in line fight over the last couple slices, and spaced out.

"S-Seraphina?" Elaine called her name, breaking her from her daze.

"Yes Elaine?"

"Is everything alright? You've been out of it a lot lately."

"I'm fine. Just having some trouble taking everything in. John becoming King, me becoming a cripple, it's all so surreal." John didn't say anything, but instead took a bite out of his casserole.

"You won't need to worry about being a cripple. I'll beat anyone that even thinks of harming you." John looked up and found himself staring at Remi who was oblivious to him. He wasn't sure what it was that drew him to her. Perhaps it was the way they thought? They both had very similar goals and ideas for how the hierarchy should be handled.

He found himself happy. Remi was also a high tier, but she wasn't corrupted by society like many were. She thought for herself and John liked that. He found himself smiling softly. This was what he wanted.

(I wanted to ask if someone could find me a good photo of John and Remi cause I can't find one ;-; ))