Chapter 22

Remi was practically sprinting down the sidewalk, barely managing to avoid bumping into people.

"Aw man, I lost track of time. Im gonna be late again...!" She ran past some TVs that were playing the news. They spoke about EMBER. Remi decided that she had to hurry, and ran off before listening to anymore.

John sat down, looking out the window as he took a drink. He looked out the window, lost in thought.

"Well Claire...looks like I'm King again. I never wanted this. I hate the hierarchy. Nobody should be forced to be in a position that they don't want." It was then that Remi walked in, catching his attention.

"Hey Remi!" John gave his cheerful smile, which she only seemed to return.

"Sorry I'm so late! I lost track of time."

"Nah, don't worry about it. Anyways, I called you here because I wanted to tell you I'm sorry." Remi was rather taken aback.

"What are you sorry for? You haven't done anything."

"I slapped your hand in the hallway and I called you a b*tch. It was wrong of me." To his surprise, she just kinda laughed.

"I know you didn't mean anything by it. You were having a rough day, so don't worry about it John. But I do have to ask, why play cripple? You wouldn't have had to deal with everything that way."

"I never wanted to be King." John said darkly.

"Then why did you...?"

"Arlo. He lied to me. We went to run some "errands" and he, Ventus, and Meili jumped me. If I hadn't activated my ability, I probably wouldn't be here right now." Remi clenched her fist, which surprised John. He had never seen her angry. Hell, she looks like she's absorbing HIS anger.

"Arlo's such a jerk! He's always been fixated on keeping his order, that he does dumb things and uses this stupid hierarchy as an excuse! I'm sick of it!" After taking a deep breath and calming down, she asked him another question.

"If you were able to defeat Arlo, Ventus, and Meili, what is your ability? What level are you?"

"My ability is called Aura Manipulation. My ability level is probably around an 8 at the moment." To say Remi was shocked was an understatement. Someone that strong was getting beat up constantly. It boggled her mind on how he had managed to restrain himself.

"Remi, are you okay?" He waved his hand in front of her face a couple times, grounding her back into reality.

"Yeah sorry, just...I'm amazed. You're almost as strong as Seraphina was! That's incredible! But how does your ability work?"

"Activate your ability." John activated his, which was something Remi was going to have to get used to. She activated her ability, her eyes glowing a reddish orange.

"What now?"

"Now, watch this." John lifted a finger, and to her surprise, a black spark of lightning wrapped around his finger.

"Woah! You can copy abilities then? That's awesome-" Remi was rudely cut off when someone poured a drink over her head.

"Would you please shut up? You keep yelling like a little girl and it's getting really annoying!" A girl and her boyfriend stood beside Remi, yelling loud enough for people outside to hear.

"Hey." John spoke up, catching her attention.

"What, would you like me to pour some on you too?"

"I'd like an apology." Remi cut in. She stared at the girl with a dangerously calm expression, something that seemed to calm him down a little.

"I bet you would girly. However, you're the one ruining our date with your annoying yapping. If you want to be loud, go take it somewhere else."

"No. What you did was uncalled for. Apologize now." He was now standing, as he was easily a couple inches taller than the girl. However, this didn't stop her.

"Please, you see this outfit? We go to Agwin High, the second best school in the region. If you were smart, you'd apologize." John only tried to suppress a chuckle, which irritated the girl more.

"What's so funny?!"

"Oh nothing, only the fact that I'm from Wellston, the first best school in the region. That girl is the Queen, and judging from your Aura, you're not even a high tier." Her eyes widened greatly. That annoying girl was Queen? She simply couldn't believe it. But who was this dude? He could see her Aura, meaning he had to be strong, easily a high tier. Deciding this wasn't worth the trouble, she simply turned and bowed to Remi.

"I'm terribly sorry for causing you this trouble..." She ran off quickly, her boyfriend soon following behind. John only sighed as he calmed down.

"I'm gonna go back." Remi spoke up, looking at John.

"I'll walk with you then." John said, and nodded and smiled, as they left the store. This would be the start of a great friendship.

Maybe possibly more.