Chapter 16

John stood there, deciding what to do before he took a chance.

"Come on, don't give me that crap. We both know if anything happens to her, you won't be leaving here alive either." He took a step to confirm his thought, but found he was wrong.

"Don't test me, kid! You think this is a joke? I couldn't give a shit if she lives or dies!" He presses the knife to her neck, drawing blood, which John immediately froze at the sight of.

"The fact of the matter is...I'm disposable, but she's not. I know her life is more valuable than mine!" Hearing this was enough to set John off.

"You...! LET GO OF HER YOU SICK F*CK!"

"I told you already! De-power and take down the barrier! What are you waiting for?" John bit his lip and clenched his fist until he noticed Claire sneaking around behind the barrier. She nodded to him, and he decided to play along.

"ARLO! Take your barrier down!"

"What? Are you out of your mind? You know they're going to escape the moment I call it off. What are you thinkin-?" He noticed Claire sneaking up on the van, and John winking at him.

"...?! That little—Did he just wink at me!?"

"Well, you got any better ideas? Can't you see there's a knife at her throat right now?!" Arlo drifted his eyes towards Elaine.

"Elaine. Run outside and standby. Assist Claire if needed." She nodded, before running out of the room.

"These guys aren't f*cking around! My ability is jacked up. I have no way of getting to him!"

"He's acting like a complete imbecile." Arlo thought, staring at John like the idiot he could be.

"Hurry! I don't have all night!" The man yelled, slowly pulling the knife away from Sera's neck.

"ARLO, I F*CKING SWEAR TO YOU IF YOU DON'T TAKE YOUR BARRIER DOWN NOW I'LL COME UP THERE AND KICK YOUR ASS!" He quickly peeked back to see the man slowly lower the knife again. This action wasn't unnoticed by Arlo.

"He keeps looking back. I see. He's looking for an opening. All this nonsense is him stalling." Arlo got a smirk and decided to have a little fun. Well, about as much fun as one could have in this situation.

"Please, I'd like to see you try."

"WHAT!?"

"Don't forget you're in my barrier too. You can't even get out, much less beat me."

"Damn you!"

"Let me clarify the situation. You're not the one making the calls right now."

Elaine and Claire, even though they weren't together had the exact same thoughts.

"Guys, what are you doing?! Get it together!"

"HEY!" The man yelled again, making John peek too see where the knife was.

"You two better stop messing around! Let me out!" He lowered the knife again. It was low enough.

"NOW!" John yelled, turning around quickly and using the man's ability to appear in front of him as he grabbed the knife, looking the now terrified man in the eyes. In a very calm voice, John said two words that would forever haunt the man.

"You're dead." With all his might, he kneed the man in his stomach, catching him off guard as he coughed up a good amount of blood. John quickly followed up with an uppercut, and with the hand he was currently grabbing the blade of the knife in, he punched the man, pushing it deeper into his skin as more blood rushed from his fingers. The man dropped Sera and fell to the ground, and John sat over him, grabbing him by his collar and lifting him up.

Elaine quickly rushed in, and Arlo allowed her to phase through his barrier and retrieve Sera.

"Seraphina! Are you alright?" When she didn't respond, Elaine was dumbfounded at best.

"Even after all this, she's still asleep? What did they do to her?" She started to drag Sera away, and Claire ran forward once she was out of the barrier and helped her pull Sera away.

John shook the man violently.

"Hey, wake up! I'm not done with you yet!" The man slowly opened his eyes, just to see John holding the knife up.

"YOU PIECE OF SH*T! I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH HER! DIDN'T I?!" He stabbed the man in the shoulder, and he screamed as the driver inside the vehicle finally decided to take action as they rammed into Arlo's barrier, shattering it.

Arlo flinched, then doubled over in pain, coughing up blood.

"...?!"

The van sped towards John, and smacked him, catching the attention of both Claire and Elaine.

"John!"

Arlo was on a knee, holding his chest.

"How in the hell did a measly van break through my barrier?!"

The man Arlo had previously knocked out appeared next to his companion while he was trying to remove the knife John lodged in his shoulder.

"Are you alright?!"

"Yeah, lets just grab the girl and run!" Before Elaine had time to think Claire picked up the knife and held it out, standing in front of Elaine with her ability activated.

"I was Queen back in my old school. I am not afraid of you!" This seemed to startle the two men a little, and when John stood back up, they were more than a little surprised.

"Is this kid for real? He was just hit by a van and he's back up?"

"Whatever, lets just plow through him again."

"No! We're running out of time! It's going to wear off soon, and when it does we're done for!"

"What are you two mumbling about!?" The two men nodded at each other and ran for the van, surprising John.

"HEY! Where do you think you're going?!" John held his arm out, feeling his strength return to him, as Claire ran towards him.

"John, stop!" John activated Arlo's barrier, and just as they had before they smashed into it, leaving John there coughing up blood.

(Yeah so I completely just didn't update this story even though I could've. So a double update as an apology is the best I can do.)