Chapter 5

Word Count: 1137

Around me torches began to light themselves. They were placed near the ceiling and gave off a lot more light than any normal kind of flame. The cream colored walls had been replaced with stone. Within the stone were intricate and beautiful designs, along with the occasional collection of symbols.

Now I was able to see everything around me clearly. Even the shelves that I had been walking amongst earlier were now gone. I had been transported into a completely different world. According to the card that was now in my pocket once more, the Underworld.

In front of me there was a large black gate that reached all the way up to the high stone ceilings. Behind me there was a large stone wall. I only had one direction that I could go, and that was forward. Towards the large gate that seemed like I would be trapped behind forever.

"Go forth," the whispers told me once again.

They chanted it over and over like a mantra. To scared to disobey them in fear of what would happen to me if I didn't I walked towards the gate. Once I stood a few feet in front of it I didn't know what to do. But the whispers kept up their unrelenting demand that I go forth. Heart pounding in my ears I clenched the leash I was holding in my hands. If I did this what would happen to Celeste.

The whispering voices must have noticed my hesitation as they started adding now behind their demand. 'Go forth now!' They seemed to be getting impatient as they started chanting faster.

Slowly, I brought one of my hands up. Taking a deep breathe, I swallowed down my fear and did my best to muster up a little bit of confidence. I wrapped one of my hands around the bars and pulled. The gate didn't budge. The whispers stopped now, so I tried again. Still nothing.

"It's push not pull honey. Don't worry I used to have the same problem."

I turned around with a small scream. Behind me was a women with dark skin, curly black hair, and eyes the color of green flower stems. She wore a black dress that clung to her figure and trailed along the floor behind her. Giving a small laugh she held out her hand.

"There's no need to be afraid. I'm Persephone, the Goddess of Spring," her voice was kind and her tone excited.

"I'm Ryan," I said softly, shaking her hand. I was still shaken from how she had scared me.

"Come on," she said, linking her arm with mine, "we can walk together. Thanatos should be wherever my husband is."

Her voice and presence was calming. Although I made sure not to let my guard down. After all I didn't know anything about her, Thanatos, or Hades except for what I had been told. There was no telling what their intentions were or what they were like.

"I know what your thinking," Persephone said softly with a sad smile upon her face.

I turned my head towards her confused. Could she read my mind?

"You think that their bad people, who's only purpose to do bad things. The God of The Underworld and the God of Death certainly don't sound like very nice people. Although they are quite cold at first I can assure you that my husband and Thanatos are not bad men. In fact both are very kind and generous, they just have to maintain their cruel facade so no one will doubt or question them."

She was speaking so passionately, I almost believed her, I wanted to believe her. But until I saw for myself what they were truly like I couldn't allow myself to do so. I had been lied to so many times that I knew better than to let myself trust her right now.

"It's fine if you don't believe me," she looked at me smiling softly, "you'll find out for yourself soon enough. So while we walk, is there any questions that you would like to ask? I know it's pretty scary being thrown in to all of this at once, plus I'm pretty sure you weren't told much."

"I have a few questions actually if that's okay," I asked her.

"Ask away," she told me with a small laugh.

"Well first of all, will I have to stay here?"

She sighed, "More than likely, yes. You see now that your in the Underworld you can become a big target and also an easy one," she told me. But continued when she noticed my worry. "It's alright but that's why you'll have to stay. As long as your with Thanatos he can keep you safe."

I nodded and thought it over in my head. That made sense considering all the gods didn't always get along.

"Okay next question," I took a deep breath, "if I have to stay here then what about my old life. My roommate needs me to help her pay rent, my job will be wondering where I am-"

"Don't worry about all that," Persephone assured me, "Thanatos will take care of it. Now, next question."

"Well....no never mind, it's a stupid question."

"There is no such thing as a stupid question," she assured me squeezing my arm lightly.

"The prophecy or whatever says that I'm destined to fall in love with Thanatos. But it never says anything about him feeling the same way about me," I tell her.

"I know what you mean. Yes The Fates did determine that you would fall in love with Thanatos, and no it never said anything about him feeling the same way. But Ryan, there's millions of people within our realm and the mortal realm. So think of it this way. They could have picked anyone, but they picked you."

She was right. Out of all the people The Fates could've chosen they had picked me. They wouldn't of just chosen any random person to fall in love with there brother, would they? They had to of picked me for a reason.

I didn't have much time to think it over. As me and Persephone turned the corner we entered a throne room. In the middle were two thrones, one was made of obsidian and carved into bones. The other was made of gold and carved in to it were intricate flower designs. Sitting upon the black throne was a man with black hair and black eyes, Hades.

When he looked up and saw her he gave a soft smile. He then stood up and opened his arms. Persephone immediately ran over to him and hugged him as he wrapped his arms around her as well.

"Welcome home love, I've missed you," he said kissing her.

"I've missed you to."

A/N: Yay finally some good process! I hope you guys like the way I imagined Persephone and Hades. Also another book is in the works! Hmmmm I wonder what it could be?

See you guys in the next chapter!