Chapter 13

Word Count: 1028

I don't know how long I set on the balcony with my legs dangling over the edge as tears ran down my face. Keeping track of time was a difficult thing to do in the Underworld. There was no sun or moon, only artificial stars, and the clocks were few and far between. For all I know it could've been the next day.

Eventually I heard the balcony door open and close beside me. I was surprised to see that it was the old lady from the little bed and breakfast in the mountains. She came and sat beside me, her looks changing before my eyes into Hannah, the middle aged librarian.

I should've known that they were the same person. I was stupid for not realizing it sooner. Especially with the way that they both called me dear. I also didn't know how it wasn't obvious she worked for Thanatos. God, I really was an idiot.

She let out a heavy sigh when I didn't say anything. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth sooner dear."

There it was. The nickname that I had been fine with at first, now I despised it. "You know, I really didn't think he would ever act like this. It's just not like him. And trust me I would know, I've been down here for gods knows how long."

Silence.

"Aren't you going to say anything dear?" She placed her hand on my shoulder and I shrugged it off. "I'll tell you anything you want to know. Will that make anything a little better?"

"Anything?"

She hesitated, not quite sure if she should go through with it. Eventually she gave a small nod. "How do I get out of here? How can I leave?"

"I'm sorry dear, I'm afraid that's the one thing I can't tell you."

"Why not," my voice was bitter, "he doesn't want me here. I'm not sure if you haven't realized this by now or not but he hates me! He doesn't spend time with me or talk to me. For fucks sake he hardly even looks at me."

I wrapped my arms around my middle as a choked sob escaped. "Nobody want me here."

Deep down I knew that wasn't true. Persephone obviously cared about me. And from the way she's treated me I knew it would hurt her if I left. Even Hades had shown he has some kind of soft spot for me. But something deep down made me throw away all of those thoughts. To shove them to the back of my mind, lock them away, and throw away the key. Because I couldn't let anything get in my way of leaving this place behind. If I let those thoughts out of where they were locked away I just might let them convince me into staying.

"Do you know what Thanatos would do to me if I told you that. I'm sorry dear but I can't. No matter how much I want to I can't tell you how to escape from hell."

"Then I guess I'll have to find my own way out."

____________

Celeste followed me around the room as I started gathering up the few things I had. I paced around the room doing my best to remember everything I could from when Persephone had showed me around. The Underworld was huge so this wasn't going to be very easy.

A knock on the door made me abruptly stop pacing around the room. Without me saying anything the door opened and Persephone walked in. She had tears running down her face and her eyes were already red and swollen.

"Is it true?" Her voice came out as a broken sob. It almost made me want to stay, just so I could spend time with her. But I knew that I couldn't do that and still be happy. Especially when she would have to leave for the spring and summer.

I decided to try and beat around the bush. Persephone was a great person and had done nothing but help me. I didn't want to hurt her in all of this. "What do you mean?"

"Don't give me that bullshit Ryan you know what I mean!"

I sighed and leaned against the foot of the bed, crossing my arms over my chest. "It's not like he even wants me here, Persephone."

The look on her face told me she wanted to argue with me on that. But there was nothing to argue about.

I was right.

"But I want you here," she came over to me and grabbed my shoulders. "Your the only person I've had to talk to in centuries that I actually enjoy spending time with. Yes I love my husband and all but when he's busy I still get lonely."

"And you don't think that with Thanatos avoiding me that I don't?"

"Listen I get it. You don't think he loves you or even likes you."

"He doesn't."

"But you've barely talked to him. Maybe there's a reason that he's doing all of this."

"He won't let me talk to him." I was starting to get annoyed with Persephone. She kept trying to defend him and talk me into staying. But he had already proven he doesn't want me around.

And maybe he never did. He could've jus been being nice at first. Trying to show me hospitality and kindness when I was forced into this world with no way to get back to my own. That inkling of what could've been love, was just me romanticizing him in my mind. He never cared about me.

Persephone looked like she was going to say something else so I cut her off. "If you want to stay in contact with me you sure as hell have a way to do so. But I'm not gonna stay where I know good and well that I'm not wanted."

"Do you even know how to leave?" Her voice didn't sound angry or upset anymore. Even her tears had gradually slowed. Now that it sunk in the reason I didn't want to stay she didn't seem to care anymore.

"No."

"Then I'll show you."

_____________

A/N

I hope you all have a great day/night. Let me know what you guys think. I love and appreciate all of you and I'll see you bookworms in the next chapter <3!