Chapter 3

Author POV

"Who's on the phone, Ran," Heijji blurted.

She didn't say anything. "Who is this?"

Everyone watched her eyes widen. "What are you doing? What happened? Please tell me. I don't want this to...hello?"

She set down the phone crying. "Who was that," Megure pondered.

"It was Shinichi."

She had caught everyone's attention by now. "He was breathing heavy. He seemed rushed."

"What did he say?"

"He said he was sorry and that he could come back. He also said everything's going to be okay, and then he stopped talking."

"What do you think happened?"

There was no time for answers, as the telephone rang. They left it for a moment, until, as if simultaneously, they all thought at once that it could be Conan. Kaito picked up the phone. "Who is this?"

"This is Haibara."

Agasa covered the phone with his hand and whispered "It's Haibara." He put her on speaker.

"What happened to you and Conan-kun," Ran exclaimed.

"Well, I'm not entirely certain about Kudo-kun's whereabouts or current situation, but I can tell you what I've been up to."

Ran remained silent so Haibara could speak.

She cleared her throat. "I was sitting in the room, and a man opened the window and snatched me. He used chloroform, so I didn't know where he had taken me. When I awoke, I was in a cabin, and the member apparently knew all of my secrets. I don't know if he knew any of Kudo-kun's, but I managed to escape when he left.

"I went out the window and eventually found myself not far from Poirot's. So I am not far. I just thought you would like to know."

"Are you sure you don't know what happened to Conan?"

"No."

"Did you recognize who kidnapped you?"

"I could tell he was a black organization member, but I couldn't identify him."

"What's the black organization again?"
"It's the organization that shrunk Kudo-kun."

There was silence. "Well, we'll pick you up, okay?"

"That would be a bad idea. I don't know who I'm dealing with, so he could come back. He also could have done something to Kudo-kun."

Heijji spoke up. "The girl has a point there. If we make a move and bring her here, we could be jeopardizing the lives of everyone here."
"How could you say such a heartless thing," Mitsuhiko shouted, exasperated. "Yes, she did some bad things she shouldn't have, and we all could be in big trouble if we save her, but she's our friend through and through. I'm not going to leave her behind."

I stood up. "I have to agree with Mitsuhiko. Sure, she has her issues. We all do. But if you're going to let her have to deal with this on her own, how can you call yourself human?"

"So I guess it's decided then," Megure spoke. "We're saving Haibara."

"Plus," I added, giddy. "This is giving me TRUCK-LOADS of inspiration for my fanfiction."

They all glared at me.

Me, Heiji, Agasa, and Megure drove the police car to Poirot's, where a little girl with strawberry blonde hair was standing patiently.