Chapter 9

If Jeongguk looks bad from the distance, he looks worse up close.

Their coach hovers above Jeongguk, carefully checking his wounds and bruises while making sure that there's a fair amount of distance between them in order to not suffocate him.

"Guys, move back and let him breathe!" Their coach yells as their whole track team hovers around Jeongguk as well, pushing at each other to get a better look. Hoseok is one of them but Taehyung is sure it's because he's worried, unlike the others who probably just want to have something to gossip about. Taehyung stays behind all of them.

When the crowd around Jeongguk finally dissolves, Hoseok went rushing forward and almost cradles Jeongguk in his arms. Now that Taehyung can see and hear better, he notices how Jeongguk is currently grunting in pain as he hugs his knees to his chest.

"Hey, Jeon, you alright? We'll take you the infirmary, okay?" the coach says, stroking through Jeongguk's hair in an attempt to soothe him down. Jeongguk only nods but keeps his eyes and mouth tightly shut.

"I'll take him there," Hoseok easily volunteers, as he moves towards Jeongguk and starts helping him get up on his feet.

"No, no, you can't go. It's almost your event and you're staying until then," The coach says with a shake of his head, taking Jeongguk from Hoseok's hold.

"But coach–"

"No buts, i'll just ask–" The coach starts to say and begins looking around. His eyes lands on Taehyung and upon noticing this, Taehyung begins to shake his head.

"Coach, wait, no–"

"Taehyung, come here and take Jeongguk to the infirmary," The coach says, interrupting Taehyung's protests. He was about to open his mouth again and reason his way out of this situation when Hoseok suddenly gives him a pointed look.

"Taehyung, quit your whining and take him there," Hoseok says and Taehyung knows that he won't be able to escape now. "Tell me what the nurse says."

Jeongguk, now noticing that he's not being held by their coach anymore and that Taehyung is the one who currently has his arm wrapped around his torso helping him up, his eyes suddenly widens and attempts to push Taehyung away. It was a weak attempt though, considering his current state.

Taehyung doesn't know what to do. If he let Jeongguk push him, he's sure that the other would fall right away as he seem to not have enough strength to hold himself up. So, Taehyung just lets Jeongguk push weakly at his chest while maintaining his hold on him.

"I'm fine. I can go there alone," Jeongguk grunts despite leaning all of his weight on Taehyung. Taehyung has to hold himself back from rolling his eyes.

"No you're not," Hoseok says, calling Jeongguk out on his bullshit. "Taehyung is taking you to the infirmary and that's final. Now, both of you move along." Hoseok makes a shooing motion at them and Taehyung tentatively grabs Jeongguk's hand and guides it around him, resting it around his own shoulder so Jeongguk is comfortably leaning on Taehyung. In this close proximity, Taehyung can faintly smell Jeongguk's perfume and he would never admit out loud how much he likes it.

Jeongguk is still grunting, both in pain and in protest, but they eventually started walking. The walk is, as expected, very tedious and Taehyung's shoulder aches because who knew Jeongguk weighs like a semi truck.

"What the fuck, Jeon, you're fucking heavy," Taehyung heaves, staring hard in front of him and willing the infirmary to appear. Jeongguk shifts in his hold but remains leaning his entire body on Taehyung.

"Sorry," Jeongguk whispers and Taehyung wouldn't have heard it if they weren't standing so close.

After several minutes, they finally reached the infirmary. The nurse was outside talking to someone on her phone and when she notices Taehyung and Jeongguk's struggling figures, she immediately cuts off the call and rushes towards them to help Taehyung in getting Jeongguk inside the building.