Drinks

"Wait, Jesse?"

McCree turned.

"Yeah, Han?"

"If I don't tell you something it is not because I don't trust you. I have a dark past. One that I do not wish to share."

McCree shook his head and smiled.

"I get it. I do. I won't push you no more. I'm sure it's hard to talk about."

They both got on the boat and McCree started pulling the anchor up. Hanzo sat against the wall of the boat and leaned his head back.

"Do you by chance have any whiskey?"

McCree set the anchor in the corner of the boat and looked at Hanzo shocked.

"I didn't know merfolk drank!"

"I didn't know humans drank."

Jesse chuckled.

"I gotta spare bottle around here somewhere."

McCree rummaged through the cases to find a large bottle of booze.

"Here we go."

McCree handed the bottle to Hanzo. Hanzo moved some hair from his face and took off the cap raising the bottle to his lips.

"No cup?" McCree asked starting up the boat.

Hanzo brought the bottle back to his lap before drinking.

"Did you want some?"

"Nah, I gotta drive the boat. Just didn't think you wanted to drink a lot."

Hanzo sighed.

"I have something I want off my mind."

McCree stared at Hanzo solemnly as he raised the bottle and took long sips of the booze.

"Listen Hanzo. I know the kinda mess that plants a man on the ground with nothin but a bottle to keep him company. I also know that nice words and a pat on the back ain't enough to clear it from your head, but just know that there are people who care about you. That's what you have now. People who give a damn."

Hanzo looked at Jesse intimently taking in every word. He stared down at the floor of the boat in front of him.

"Just remember Hanz. You're not alone. Not anymore."

Jacob met McCree at the doc again. He helped tie the boat up while McCree and Hanzo hopped out of it.

"Here's your pay for today McCree."

"Thanks. Hey Jacob? Is it alright if we take some of this catch for dinner tonight?"

Hanzo held up a bucket that was halfway full with fish.

"You guys want all that?"

Jesse nodded.

"Yeah sure. You can take it."

"Thanks boss."

"Now wait a minute. You guys, this is the biggest catch I've ever seen! Lemme treat you both to a drink."

McCree looked over his shoulder at Hanzo anxiously then back at Jacob. He whispered.

"I think he's had enough to drink alre-"

"I heard you offer a drink." Hanzo stepped in smiling. "I could use a drink right now."

Jacob stared at Hanzo curiously and stuck his hand out.

"Hanzo right? I don't think we properly met."
Hanzo shook his hand.
"Yes, you are Jacob. It is good to finally greet you properly."
"So that's a yes on that drink?"
"Of course, let us go."
McCree scratched the back of his head and followed close behind. They went into the doc house and sat at a table in the dark corner. Jacob went up to the bar and asked what kind of drinks they had.
"I actually just got something special imported from Japan."
The bartender took two small bottles out of a fridge and showed the labels.
"You expect me to read that? What is it?"
Hanzo looked over and stared in shock. He went up to the bar and imediateley grabbed one of the bottles.
"It's Saké!"
Jacob tilted his head.
"What is that?" Jacob asked.
"It is wine created from fermented rice. It is my favorite alcoholic drink!"
Jacob grinned and stared at the bartender.
"Put one of those on my tab. What do you want to drink, McCree?"
"Whiskey on the rocks."
"Two of those please." Jacob said before coming to sit at the table.
Hanzo opened his bottle and took a sweet sip of the Saké. He set down the bottle sighing in relief. Jesse chuckled a bit. Hanzo raised the bottle offering a sip to Jesse. He looked curiously and took a sip. He removed it from his lips and coughed hard into his hand.
"Bitter!"
Hanzo chuckled taking another sip.
"What are you talking about?"
Jacob sat in front of them.
"So, what brings you so far from Japan?"
Hanzo stared prideful.
"I like to travel."
Jacob looked down and chuckled at him. He leaned against the table and clasped his hands.
"I'm sorry to break it to you Hanzo, but there's not much out here."
"Nonsense. I see potential in every place I visit. Huma-I mean people are very different depending on where they live. I always find the difference in lifestyles intriguing."
"Huh. I never thought about it like that." Jacob said stroking his moustache. "You know how to pick em Jesse."
McCree gasped, his face hot with blush.
"Not now Jacob!"
Hanzo glared at McCree. He felt embarrassed hiding his face under his hat. Hanzo rolled his eyes and sighed in disappointment. He looked back at Jacob to change the subject.
"Anyway, why don't you tell me where your from Jacob?"
Jacob scoffed.
"Doesn't Jesse talk about me?"
"Yes, all the time, but it's always the same. Whether it's 'Jacob needs this or that'."
"Hanz! Rude!"
"It's alright Jesse. My family travelled from Mexico to California and now I live here. Not much to tell if I'm being honest."
McCree cut in.
"Sorry Jacob, but I gotta get these fish to the freezer. We should get going."
"Of course. Maybe we can talk another time. Enjoy your afternoons you two."
"It was very nice to finally meet you Jacob." Hanzo aaid shaking his hand firmly.
Jacob smiled back and waved goodbye. McCree tried to avoid an awkward conversation during the walk back, but Hanzo began.
"So, he knows?"
"He...he doesn't know all that much. Jacob just doesn't have a reason to tease me. Guess this gives him one. He just knows that...I like you Hanz...a lot."
Hanzo looked at McCree surprised and blushed a bit.
"Oh."
"Oh?"
"I thought he...knew something more."
"Wait a minute! You thought I told him you were a fish?!"
Hanzo turned away grumbling under his breath.
"I don't like being called that. Fish are mindless creatures. I am for certain not mindless."
McCree stopped walking, but Hanzo kept going. McCree grabbed his arm making Hanzo nearly fall over. McCree forced Hanzo to look up at him. He stared up scared at first.
"I can't believe that you still don't trust me to keep your secret!"
Hanzo grew annoyed and pulled his arm from Mccree's grip and looked cross.
"It is just like you said Jesse. Men would sell me if they found out. If I'm worth so much why haven't you sold me yet?"
McCree sighed staring below the edge of his hat sadly.
"You only have worth to me Hanzo. But your price isn't worth money."
McCree looked up.
"The only two things keepin me from givin you away are my pride and my love. I love you Hanzo. Not as a human, but as a merman."
McCree continued walking passing Hanzo's shocked expression as he did.
"I hope one day you'll see that, merman."