ten

SHE HAD TO DO IT. She was being forced to. But she didn't want to. She didn't want to hurt him. Allura hoped he knew that she didn't have another choice, the superior's eyes glaring at her head from his position behind the glass and Bucky standing next to her.

The strawberry blonde closed her eyes, sending a kick to the man's head as he tried to punch her, but she dodged it. She did a front handspring and landed in front of him, twirling and grabbing his neck with her arm, snapping it in seconds.

Her eyes were sad and remorseful as she stared at the innocent person HYDRA had brought for her to kill as a part of their training. They wanted them to be emotionless, heartless, cold. But for Allura, after half a millenium of war, they knew they'd have to try harder.

HYDRA began searching for weak spots, watching the alien fight and kill under orders, even if her gaze was somewhere else as she did, coated with regret. They couldn't have that. They wanted her to focus on her victims, to not only perform the kill but to enjoy it.

So, as they saw their two assets fight and live in the facility, they began a list. Words that wouldn't make sense or would seem harmless individually, would become disastrous when combined. Words like: freight car; the place where one of their assets had fallen off. Saudade; their female asset profoundly missing something that is no longer with her. Seventeen; the year their male asset was born: 1917. Brother; the person their female asset seems to be worried about.

The list would grow as they trained and formed their soldiers,  until they controlled them completely with mundane words.

The superior smirked, giving orders to a guard who repeated them and pushed Bucky to the middle of the room, the two asset's eyes widening as they understood what was about to happen. They didn't have to kill each other, they wouldn't. But they were about to receive a beating they wouldn't forget... from one another.

James chest hurt from the idea of hurting the girl he had known for a year, having grown closer to her in the short amount of time. He felt nausea and disgust at the idea of her getting hurt because of him, and he honestly felt even more scared for his own personal health— knowing that if the martian was good at anything, it was at fighting and kicking ass.

Allura looked at him, her green eyes piercing him as worry and anxiousness took over them, her strawberry blonde hair a mess from the people she had killed beforehand. They were making her kill for nothing and it was getting on her nerves.

"What are you waiting for?" Gunshots were heard and it made both assets turn to look at the agents, their guns towards the ceiling as they glared and obeyed orders.

The brunet sighed and threw the first punch, hitting Allura in the jaw with his metal arm. He tried to manage his strength and make it as painless as he could, but the vibranium seemed to be taking over him as his force tripled.

The girl groaned, falling on the ground and kicking his legs underneath him as a reflex, then standing up by bending in a bridge and passing her legs to the other side, kicking him on the face while doing it.

Bucky flinched at the impact, Allura cringing in apology as they stood up with their fists in front of their faces, their gazes weak as they struggled to find a way not to hurt one another.

"I'm not gonna hurt you." Bucky said, throwing a punch that she pretended to receive, James smirking at the idea as they pretty much acted like they were beating each other senseless.