Chapter 4 - The Village Store and Magical Windows

Sofia loved going to the store.

At the border village, it was sometimes easy to forget that the streets didn't only lead into the village, but also out of it. But being located at the border - at any border - obviously meant that one part of the world was both ending and just beginning. It all depended on where one was coming from. Since nobody ever went to or came from Nihon, there was only one direction to go. If one went, that was. Sometimes, people left for a while, to explore or to escape, but when they came back, they were met with a deliberate withholding of curiosity. No questions were asked, no quizzical stares given. As soon as they had settled in again, everybody pretended that they had never been gone.

But the goods on sale in the store proved that there was a world beyond the village, despite this reluctance to admit it. There was food and drink of all provenance, though not all of it appealing to everybody. There were fabrics, both plain and sturdy, and colorful and whimsical. There were tools for building and tools for making, and even tools for having, just in case they would become necessary. There were books with letters and books with pictures, and some with both. Though the supply of books was rarely re-stocked, because people who distrust physical travel also often distrust travel of the imaginary kind.

When Sofia got there, Pip and Tin were engrossed in one of their mysterious games in front of the shop. Their uncle was the shopkeeper, and he preferred to keep the boys close by so that he could call them in to help. Yet, despite his efforts, the twins showed no signs of enthusiasm when it came to any kind of work. They obeyed his instructions only when he insisted, and never lifted a finger without being prompted. As soon as their uncle's attention waned, they slipped away again.

Sofia tiptoed towards the boys, so they wouldn't conceal what they were doing. They had drawn an elaborate net of lines on the ground and were moving white and black stones in formations that made sense only to them. To Sofia, it was like gibberish in the form of stones. Still, she was curious.

"Attack!" Sofia heard one of them say. She thought that it had been Tin.

"Who are you attacking there, Tin?" she said loudly, grinning as they both jumped to their feet.

"I'm Pip," the boy said.

"Are you sure?" Sofia teased.

Pip's face went almost purple, and Sofia remembered that she had intended to be nicer to them.

"What are you playing?" she said conciliatory.

"We are playing War," Tin said.

"The Great Wars," Pip boasted as if he had something to make up for.

His brother punched him in the side. "Shh," he made.

Sofia sucked in her breath, trying not to show her surprise. It was the second time someone had mentioned this expression, today. Maybe she hadn't been paying attention, but she couldn't remember a single time that she had heard it before. Wars could hardly be kept a secret, though. Maybe she had heard about it in another term? Or maybe she hadn't been paying attention. Though that was unlikely.

"You and your little kids' games," Sofia said with deliberate boredom. "I know all about the Great Wars, so don't you worry about me."

"You do?" Tin asked, suspicious.

"Sure. I'm only surprised that you know about it, since you usually don't know anything."

"We know a lot!" Pip protested.

"Much more than you," Tin added, but he was looking at his feet.

Sofia shrugged her shoulders. "So, which color is for Nihon?" she asked as if it was no big deal to mention it.