Chapter 23 - Mica and Kaido

"You lied to me," Sofia said, her voice high and shrill with agitation.

She moved back until she hit the carriage wall. She wanted to get out, to flee from this place, from them. But she didn't know where to go.

Mica had told her that she and Kaido had been traveling together since they had been very young, not much older than you are now, Sofia. She had regaled her with tales about their youthful adventures and comic mistakes. All of the stories that Sofia had soaked up like a sponge, starved to get a glimpse into other people's lives. None of it had been true!

The indignity of having been lied to, of always, always being lied to, rose inside Sofia like a flood. She thought that she might start to cry from sadness or desperation. Instead, she felt herself tearing up from anger.

She took a deep, furious breath.

"You lied! You lied! It's nothing but lies here, only stories and betrayals. Nothing is true! I hate it here! I hate it!"

She wanted to add, 'and I hate you', but she stopped herself at the last moment.

"I never lied to you, Sofia," Mica said. "And neither has Kaido. We only left out certain things."

"That's the same as lying!"

"I don't think so."

"But - but, look at him."

Sofia pointed accusingly at Kaido. He now looked much the same as he always did, though missing his horn and dramatic hair. His skin was smooth and taut, and his eyebrows were arched high. His eyes were clear and sharp. He might have been thirty years old, lithe and strong.

But it had taken him two attempts to return to his usual form, and Sofia could see that there was still a slight tremor in his hands. His expression was one of sadness, and though he hadn't said anything to Sofia yet, he had apologized to Mica. She had shaken her head, consoling him with a single gesture. Now, he seemed to let her decide how much to reveal.

Sofia said,

"You told me that you have spent most of your lives together, on the road, with your theater, since you were young."

"That's the truth."

"It's not. It is not!"

Mica was looking at her hands that were lying in her lap. With a visible emotional effort, she lifted them.

"Look," she said softly.

As Sofia finally did as she was asked, Mica's hands looked like a skeleton's. They were covered with loose and malleable flesh as if the bones were beads on a string. The skin was papery and spotted, with a yellowish tint. Her hands looked so brittle and frail as if they might crumble if touched too firmly. Like a corpse's hands.

Sofia stared at them. The sight of these ancient-looking limbs made her back feel cold. As if she was in the presence of death, or something worse.

"You're only pretending," she stammered, but one look into Mica's face told her that she wasn't. Her eyes, soft and clear like a young woman's were lined with tears.

Kaido had his head turned away, avoiding to look at Mica's hands.

"I wish I was," Mica said. "They hurt. The skin feels like it could be pierced by the wind." She rubbed her hands softly, as if for warmth, or comfort. "Can I -?" she asked.

Sofia nodded, unable to act any differently.

Mica's fingers and hands returned to their previous shape. Her body relaxed, and she reclined against the cushioned seat of the carriage with a sigh of relief. She lifted her shoulders and curled them back as if unwinding the muscles in her neck.